lostinthewoods

Newbie, a few pointers?

Hello all! I've lurked here for a while now and this is my first post. I have a few questions. I'm thinking of tying some in line buck tails for muskies. As money is really tight right now I'd like to think I can save some money doing it this way over spending $15.00+ per bucktail in the store.

Anyway,

Can you recommend a good online resource for design ideas?

What type of hair would you guys/gals recommend to use on these? I've looked at pseudo hair, buck tail hair, maribou, etc. What do you guys use? What are the advantages of one over another? My brain tells me they don't call them "bucktails" because they're make of something other than that.

Is there any type of glue you can substitute for head glue? I've read about using it in abundance on just about everything. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

lost

Bass Pro Shop has bucktails died any color you want for 4.99 ea... But you can do some research on the web and buy them a lot cheaper than that.. I dont remember where i got them but I have bought natural color bucktails for 2.49 ea and someone told me they bought them cheaper than that.. I do not remember where I bought mine but I know I found them via searching the web with google. Hope this was a little help..

Rick

I get most of my stuff for making jigs, inline spinners, and spinnerbaits from Barlow's Tackle Shop. They have good product with good prices.

Luremaking.com as mentioned has lots of plans for baits. Barlow's has the plans for chatter style baits on line as well as info on how to build skirts and how to use wire benders.

Jann's has info on what size blades, clevis, split-rings for what size bait.

I have bought bucktail from Barlow's and I liked it ok. I use mostly living rubber for skirts. It has the best action in my opinion.

Never made muskie lures, which is why I didn't offer advice the first time. I know for bass size baits, you can make your own wire bender by driving nails at strategic locations into wood. Snip the nail head off so you can lift and remove the wire form after bending. Use pliers to pull and bend the wire around the "posts" formed by the nail shaft. Like I said, don't know if muskie wire is too stiff for that approach. Good luck.

Lost

The last one I made was from a 3/4x2x6 pc of oak. I drilled some tight pilot holes for the nails so the nails wouldnt split the wood. Just get nails the same diameter as the eyes you want on your baits..When I got ready to bend some wires I would chuck it up in the workbench vise.

Hope this helps..

Rick