Codgeman13

Lexan

13 posts in this topic

I am having trouble finding lexan thin enough to make the lips for my baits. Lowes and HD both have thick sheets. Any suggestions for stores that carry smaller sizes? Also my baits are made of basswood, what is the best way to weight them, just drill a hole and insert splitshot?

I get mine from mcmaster carr, a mail order place that has a website. If you can't find the website pm me and I'll find it for you. They carry all sizes. As for weights on my crankbait, I use a weight with a ring on it for like drop shotting. This works fine for larger crankbaits plus has the hook hanger already in.

I also get 1/16" polycarbonate from mcmaster.com, in 1'x1' sheets. Mcmaster-Carr has better than average prices, good service, and they also carry G-10, G-11 circuit board (only yellow color however) and various wires (I like their soft stainless steel and soft brass for line ties).

Thanks for the info, I liked the stuff on the Mcmaster-Carr site. I ordered some circut board which should be in this week and i can get the bills cut and installed. I'll keep posting pics of the progress.

I got mine for just about nothing. Contact a car windshield replacement place, they can refer you to a place that handles Lexan.

Split shot will work fine for weighting the bait. Drill and drop, glue it in place. If you're doing a thru-wire bait, make your lead holes on the inside of both halves near the bottom of the belly while the body is split. That way you don't have to worry about filling a drill hole when you reassemble the halves with lead inside.

There was another recent thread discussing filling the drilled hole so that it is not noticeable.

look in the yellow pages under plastic. found a place locally that sells 1/16" thick for $4.50/ft.

help please. can't figure out how to post photos in the gallery. do i just click on someone else's and upload the picture?

Click on "Gallery" at the top of this page, and then on "upload" at the top of the Gallery page. It will walk you through uploading pics from your computer.

I agree with Woodie and Bman, I contacted a place that mkes signs in my area a while back and the guy said he had some scrap, I went down to get it and my gosh he gave me 11 sheets of 1/16th 1' wide and 4' long. Needless to say that has lasted awhile. He also is a fisherman so I offered in trade a few baits. Cant get much cheaper than that and that thrilled me to death. I'm a tight&%^ anyhow.

Its worth a phone call or two.:twocents: