lostinthewoods

Wire guages?

I use .051 for my musky/pike bucktails, i have made smaller bass size bucktails for a friend, i used .026 3" wire forms. They also make .024 3" wire forms and sell them at http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/catalogue-index/catalogue-items/wire_shafts.htm.

Hope this helps, sorry im not really sure of the size wire they use for roostertails n trout size spinners.

Most bass spinnerbaits use either a .035 or .040. The lighter wire will give you a little better feel but is obviously not as durable. Here's my general rule of thumb (keeping in mind I fish for largemouth and smallmouth). If I'm pouring a 1/4 or 3/8oz head then I use the lighter wire (like I said you can feel the blade better which I think you need with the lighter head), for 1/2 - 1oz heads I use the bigger gauge. If you mostly catch smallies then you might want to go with the beefier wire cause you know what a smallie can do to a spinnerbait wire.