jgrick

looking for lathe

21 posts in this topic

I hope this is the appropriate venue to post this. I am looking for a small lathe that I can buy cheap. I have been looking at new ones but need to find a cheap used one. I want to try my luck at turning some cranks. Us disabled old farts are always looking for a better way to pass time. LOL So if yuou know know someone who has a small lathe collecting dust let me know.

Thanks

Rick

If you have a harbor freight tools nearby, they have some pretty good deals. They have a small one that you can turn one lure at a time which works okay. I have one and use it for turning new ideas. It is only $40 and is worth that, just for fun and a time passer. If you are willing to spend a little more, they have some larger ones for a around $150 (check their website). Also dont forget the classifieds.

-Trey

Maybe I am missing something but I am on Harbor Freight web site and I cant find it.. 129 is the cheapest one I see. Rick

ebay is a good place to look too. Dremel made a small lathe a while ago, and you can probably get it relatively cheap if you can find it.

Hey Spare Tire

I called 3 Menards close to you and they all thought I was crazy! LOL... I was going to try to buy it from them and have them ship it.. I called the store in Escanaba, Marinette, Marquette.

Rick

It was in Sheboygan Wi. I was just there Tuesday night. They had 2 lathes one large and one small. It was the small one I was talking about.

New in box with one on display as well.

The ones I called said they did have a small one and a large one but the small one was 139.00... I will try Sheboygan tomorrow..

Thanks

Rick

Sheboygan said they did not have one but I Found one at the Johnson Creek WI Menards. I bought it and they are shipping it to me...69 plus 20 shipping.

thanks

Rick

I purchased a pen lathe on ebay - it was under $100.00. I have also seen this lathe at Menard's and could be bought on order as a Jet Pen Lathe.

See here:

http://www.misgroupinc.com/index.cfm?area=shop&action=detail&iid=139217

This lathe is a minimal tool that has limited features but does lures just fine.

It is too small to bore deep holes, I use the drill press for that.

I have a Turncrafter Pro from Penn State Industries. It cost about $160.

Great lathe and they carry parts. American made stuff.

I just finished converting a bench top drill press into a lathe and so far it works pretty good, if I can figure out how to post pics I will later.

Got mine at Menards...it's a Performax mini lathe, and i have turned about 18,000 blanks with it so far and it's still going strong. Nice features like all cast metal, variable speed control, etc... and about 120 bucks. I make lure blanks for people all over the world, and trust this little mighty max. Good luck!

My local Harbor Freight Tools is having their sidewalk sale in two weeks. And I get my bonus that same weekend. Gee, what great timing.:yeah:

Gary

Grizzley's got one for around $50; but you need a drill for the motor and mandels and clamps.

I've looked at those, but I figured that by the time I burned up a couple of drills, I'd be just well off getting a $100 mini lathe.