StoneCoal Tackle

Vintage Red and White anyone?

Just finished this Moonlight Little Wonder replica. index.php?n=538It is turned from basswood and features washered hardware, glass eyes and an exaggarated chin compared to an original. I painted this lure with rattle cans. Sprayed the body antique white, masked and shot the head in red then sprayed the black spots through a paper funnel. Speaking of rattle cans, for those of you who use them this is the sweetest red (in my opinion) you'll ever find for doing a red and white lure. It's Rust-Oleum "Safety Red 7964".

Let me know what you think.

daymon

LOOKS GOOD !!!! I'm getting ready to spray some " old school " Zara Spooks, might borrow your color scheme. The funnel is a good idea, I'll have to go spray something tonight to try it out or I won't be able to sleep. Keep up the good work.

outcast

" Catch one for me "

Stonecold What are you using for a sealer? I know you said a funel for the circles and you prefered spray cans any particular type or brand ? I'm just ful of questions. Got your answer and surjestion on a lure but darned if I can fine the posting. Is it me or does that happen on here? Went to wally world and looked at the Krylon but darned if i could fine the sealer and there. Have you ever use Zinser as a primer it is a shelac base with a tint to it and will cover about anything.

John Lenox2k

Lenox, after my lures have had their final sanding the paint jobs usually go something like this;

Spray on a coat of Krylon grey primer and let dry (12 minutes or less with Krylon!), sand with 200 grit and spray on a coat of Krylon flat white (especially if I'm going to be spraying light or flourescent colors). Then paint the lure, sign and date it and let dry over night.

Now, I hesitate to say what I topcoat with lest the Devcon gods smite me with a rusty 12/0 treble, LOL, but I use MinWax brand High Gloss Spar Urethane in the green spray can, available at Lowes and WalMart. I spray on 3 or 4 coats over a 20 minute period and then let lure dry for 72 hours (very important as recoating any sooner will result in a wrinkled finish). Then I sand with 400 grit wet/dry paper and spray on 4 more coats. It makes a pretty nice finish but probably not as tough as Devcon. I like this finish for a couple of reasons, one is that I don't have to turn the lures, just hang them up. And the other is I like the vintage look with the glass eyes and hardware installed last without being painted or sealed over. I glue the eyes and hardware in with Devcon so as to seal all openings. One thing to keep in mind is that the Spar Urethane will take on a yellow tint after several coats, but hey, I like the old look so it's fine with me. Hope this helps.

daymon