Maze

Ice Fishing Anyone ?

Anyone here Ice Fish ? Great hobby, believe it or not. Just looking to trade ideas, tips and techniques. If anyone will be in the Central New York area at any point in time, be sure to let me know in advance. Always nice to put a face to a name. And of course, we can always wet a line if there is time !!!

Maze

We'll be hitting the ice in few weeks hopefully. Here in Wisconsin if you don't fish through the ice, you don't fish very many places for 4 months.

Our fishing is mainly for panfish and walleyes and northerns with tip-ups.

Tried something new last year that really worked for panfish. Using 4 lb. line I tied a jig on the end, then came back up the line about 6 inches and tied on a dropper line with another jig, and came up another six inches and tied on another dropper line with a real small plain hook and a piece of waxworm. Several times got two fish at a time. I think one fish looking causes another to look- when they decide to bite they don't have to fight over the hook - THERES ENOUGH FOR EVERYONE.

If you're fishing for panfish give it a try.

I've done this for Walleye when vertical jigging by putting a leadhead on the end and tie a floater on the mainline about a foot up. Like drop shotting only the shot has a hook too! Never doubled up but have caught fish on either the floater or the lead head.

We have been ice fishing on the smaller lakes for two weeks now. Caught some Eastern Brook Trout on Big Splash Rocket Grubs. The Brookies are in really shallow water at this time of the year. 1 - 4' of water is all I fish in right now, sometimes the weeds stick up right through the ice!

I will be making a donation of Big Splash Lures to an on-line ice fishing derby at www.bigfishtackle.com Check the forums there under "Ice Fishing and Recipies and sign up! They should get some good prizes together - besides the Big Splash Lure package. Last year they gave away a power ice auger.

I always host a local derby on the ice for kids. See pics of last years winner on my web site.

Anyone here Ice Fish ? Great hobby' date=' believe it or not. Just looking to trade ideas, tips and techniques. If anyone will be in the Central New York area at any point in time, be sure to let me know in advance. Always nice to put a face to a name. And of course, we can always wet a line if there is time !!!

Maze[/quote']

Maze,

Left a couple sites for you to check out in an earlier post. Please note I am from the Syracuse, NY area.

-Reelcharacter

Hey another New Yorker !!! I'm in Utica, not far from you at all. If you'e ever intereted in fishing together, talking or getting prices, get in touch with me. For the record, I hold an FFL, NYS Pistol Dealer's Lic., build custom rods, do rod and reel repair, teach kids and buy anything outdoor related either from the wholesalers, or direct. It's a hobby, I just retired due to a disability. Ever hear of Spoonplugging? Know of anyone who does? Hoping to get Mick Thill down our way to do some filming and for a seminar and training session for the kids. Float fishing is his specialty even under the ice. I am helping to bring The National Teen Angler and Junior Teen Angler Programs to NYS. Interested in helping or learning about it? Check out the website

www.teenanglers.org

www.mickthill.com

www.chicagolandfishing.com (fishing with mick thill)

Hoping to add an AquaVu this season too. Still learning myself and don't ever plan to stop!

Maze

I use to do ALOTT of ice fishing until "that night"...was out ling fishing..had walked over a spot about 5 times with no problems..then one time while walking along with auger in hand...down I went.. :cry: ..the thing that saved me was my auger catching on the sides of the hole....pulled my self out and went home naked...lol....went out the next day in the light to find out why I had gone thru..it was a spot on the ice that someone had been using one of those half barrels to keep themselves warm...must have melted the under ice really good.....since that day I get a little leary to walk out there,,,but I have been out a few times since..just dont go out when its dark unless you have had a chance to survey the area!!!!!!! 8O8O

I Ling fish at night here too. The ice is usually about 22" thick when the Ling are 'running'. The ice makes a lot of noise though- not a sport for the faint of heart!

Our ice hut was blown away by high winds a few years back. It was up near the shoreline near a creek mouth. Two of us were trying to drag the hut back when thin ice from the creek's current gave away, dropping us into freezing water. I leaned forward onto unbroken ice as I went through. I managed to scamble to thicker ice so fast I didnt even get wet inside my snow suit! My buddy wasn't so well dressed though, and was soaked to the belt line. He headed for the truck on the double, without a word!

Another sport here is spearing Ling as they run into the creeks in the springtime. This sport starts at midnight, and is a favorite of the natives. The ice is just starting to break off the creek, and has large holes where one shines a flashlight into the water to see the fish.

You can be sure someone will fall though the thinning ice, but we know where to walk the shallow creek so one dosn't fall right through.