Cartrpill

First fish on a lure I made

I was out testing some surface lures out the day after the lake thawed out. Caught a nice small mouth on the 3rd cast.

Unfortunately, yesterday my bail snapped shut on a cast and my first fish catching lure smashed against the retainer wall, chipping a nice chunk of the E-coat off along with some paint (paint didn't look to be adhered very good). Oh well, guess I'll just have to retire that one and make a few more to replace it.

Hey, congrats on your first catch. There's nothing like it, is there! To bad about the encounter with the wall but hey, that's fishing and that's one more story to add to the history of a lure that you'll treasure forever.

Here's a pic of the first one of my lures to land me a fish. index.php?n=541 . This little crab wiggler style lure has been beat, banged, water logged etc. but even with its nicks, scrapes and cracked paint (by the way this is the good side, LOL) it hangs with pride in my contemporary lure collection and it's usually the first lure I show to friends when they are looking at my collection. Nothing like the first catch! Agian, congratulations on your first catch on one of your's.

Fish on,

daymon

You may just try to touch up the chipped spot with some markers and recoat it. Some of the "catchers" versus "duds" look the same, but perform differently. You might have to make a few more before you get one to work as well as the one you chipped. But that's half the fun, right?

Otherwise, I'd say just build a little frame box for it, and hang it in the living room! I love reading posts like this one, because you just know he can't stop now.

Last spring, I made two lures of a certain type for the first time. First time out, on first stop of the day, I caught a 12" largemouth and a 5 lber, all in about 15 minutes. I was so pumped, about three cast later, I hit a stump, set the hook and broke my plug off. It only dived to about 3 1/2-4 feet, but the water was so dingy I could never find it.

The other lure that I had made like it was in very bright colors, and for most of the rest of the day, the bass wouldn't touch it. But I caught five jacks (pickeral) on that sucker, and finally caught two more bass as the sun hit the treetops and the lower light conditions made it more attractive to the bass.

On the very next plug of that type that I made, of course in the color that I lost, I have now caught 9-10 bass and 3-4 jacks.

The first lure that I made was a brass spoon 'S' type lure. It took many hours to form it with hand tools. I removed every dent and scratch and buffed it to a mirror shine. Pure pride and vanity.

First cast, I tried to break the world record. The bail arm snapped shut mid-cast. You should have seen that sucker fly! At least 150yds.

The emotions fealt were extreme rage followed a split second later by overwhelming, cringing embarrassment.

I just got a fly tying kit and have been going nuts tying different flys and bucktail jigs.(saltwater) Finnally going out this weekend and am comping at the bit to try them. I tied one and gave it to a friend that was going to the keys. He said the only time it got wet was when he used it to stir his pink margarita. How disappointing, hope he doesn't lose it, it's the last one he'll get from me. Good Luck, Keep em legal, Big Brother's Watching

First cast, I tried to break the world record. The bail arm snapped shut mid-cast. You should have seen that sucker fly! At least 150yds.

The emotions fealt were extreme rage followed a split second later by overwhelming, cringing embarrassment.

vodkaman, I feel your pain. Please reassure us that you did not have a witness present.