Mustang

Lure turner/rotater

Most have constructed a lure turning wheel using a small motor. Rotisserie motors have been used, but some have reported problems with the motor burning out too frequently. Of course, you'd need some way to attach the lure to the wheel (alligator clip, clothespin, etc.). Do a thread search...there used to be a complete tutorial on this. Even if that was lost in the crash a while back, I'm pretty sure you can find enough info to get you on the way toward a completed wheel.

I can only speak for Devcon topcoat, but would assume that the same is true for the other topcoats.....yes. If you use Devcon, the coated lure needs to be turned for at least twenty minutes, maybe longer. You still can't touch the lure after twenty minutes (don't try for at least six or seven hours if not longer).

But if you are just making one or two at a time, you might not even bother with the turning wheel. A set of locking forceps can grip the line tie so you can turn it by hand.

If you don't turn the lure, you'll get dimples, incomplete coverage, a superthick coat on the lower portion of the lure, and little to no coverage on the upper end. Plus it will likely drip on you and make a big mess.

You need to turn, just be careful not to drop the thing whether turning by hand or clipping to your wheel.

Rotisserie motors work great for turning lures and turn about 4 rpm which is what you need for epoxies. As long as you're not trying to turn something akin to baseball bats, they're very dependable also. Mine is going on its fourth year and has untold hours on it turning E-tex coated lures, which require several hours on the dryer; I typically coat mine at night an let them turn all night long. You can get by without one for Devcon by turning by hand for 15 or 20 minutes, but for longer drying epoxies such as Envirotex and other bar top type coatings, or for rod epoxies such as Flex Coat, you must have a turner.

I bought a rotisserie from Wal-Mart for $20 (Gardening Section) and use the main shaft, motor mount, motor, and shaft bracket for constructing my turner.. I mounted this is a frame about 20 inches high, which is about an inch higher than the shaft. On the turning shaft I mounted two four inch wooden wheels about 4 inches apart with a center-drilled dowel between them, making it look like a giant wooden baitcaster spool. I drilled 8 evenly spaced holes in the circumferance of each spool and stuck 16 10 inch long 3/16th dowel rods in the holes parallel with one another, and mounted alligator clips on the ends of the dowels; it looks a lot like a tinkertoy. I don't use the gator clips for holding the lures directly; I use them for either holding hemostats to grip the lures by the rear hook hanger, or for holding spring clips with plastic covered jaws to grip crankbait lips. Works like a charm. I hope this helps you out.

Dean

A turner is nice to have. I think mine cost about $8 total and uses a 4 rpm AC timing motor that's available on Ebay. Do a search on lure turners for previously posted info. As an alternative: if you are using straight Devcon 2 Ton (not thin runny clearcoats) you can make up a couple of hooks and attach them to the nose and tail of the bait. Switch the bait nose/tail every 2-3 mins for the first 15 min and then every 5 min or so for the next 15 mins, then hang it by it's nose. Leave the unused Devcon in it's container and touch it at the end of 30 mins. It's an indicator of whether the epoxy is cured enough to stop turning. Slightly more labor intensive, but it works fine.

I paint before adding hardware, so my process is a little different. To hold my baits, I stick a "panel nail" into the tail where the tail screw/hook will eventually go - that gives a good compression fit to hold the bait while you paint. I hold the nail with a exacto handle during the painting process. When I'm done, I remove the nail from the exacto handle and stick it on a long magnet that I have attached to my rod drying motor. It then rotates nose over tail during the drying process...and there is a little movement from the nail on the magnet that ensures a smooth distribution of clearcoat.

Actually...now that I think of it, you could probably use my set-up with the drill turner shown in a Yake's reply. But you could just put the nail directly into the drill bit without needing the extra hanger. The key is to get Panel Nails so you get a good strong compression fit.

My approach isn't as elaborate as the other's drying wheels...but it actually works pretty well and is super simple.

I think I have a post somewhere else on this site showing my compression holder...I'll hunt it down and update my post with a photo.

(found the photo...here it is!)

lure_holder2.jpg

The nail is a "panel nail" that you can pick up from Lowes, Home Depot, etc. I clipped off the head of the nail so it fits easily into the exacto handle. When I'm done, I unscrew the exacto top and plop the nail onto my magnet. I did have to add a few glue ridges to the magnet to keep the nail from rolling, but other than that it's actually a pretty easy way to do your painting and turning.

Here's some pics of mine. Easy to make and works great. I use a microwave 2.8rpm gear motor (got micro from neighbors, they were throwing it out when I caught them, they thought I was crazy) Cut some plywood for a frame. 4ft dowel with the end carved down to fit into the coupler and just screwed it in until it dug grooves into the dowel, drop of super glue and your good to go. Just dont buy the colorful clips I have there, they suck. There hard plastic and will drop your baits, I love the ones with the soft plastic on the ends. I can do about 12 baits but have a lot of room for more.........

turner.jpg

turner1.jpg

turner.jpg

turner1.jpg

turner.jpg

turner1.jpg

turner.jpg

turner1.jpg

turner.jpg

turner1.jpg

turner.jpg

turner1.jpg

turner.jpg

turner1.jpg

turner.jpg

turner1.jpg

2686_thumb.attach

2687_thumb.attach

Just wanted to let you guys know that Nu-Lustre 55 will soon be available in a non dripping formulation that should be idea for our lures! You can brush it on or dip and it won't run or drip so no drying wheel (and extra hydro bills) will be needed. As soon as it's available I'll let you all know. I endorse their products and communicate with them often.

I put the whole spinner, what ever design you decide on inside a large plastic container with a cover, like you store crap in. I also put a small light bulb inside, thru the side of the container so I can keep the temp. between 70 and 80 degrees, I am in Massachusetts and it is cold inthe cellar. I find temp. very important in a good end result. You will have to adjust the wattage to find which works for you. I have a cheap outdoor thermometer in the bottom of each container, I use 3 of them, containers that is. I use System 3 clear coat and it takes a good 6 hours to set up. I then shut off the spinner, if I remember. I keep the cover on the containers after I apply the epoxy for 2 reasons. 1 it keeps the temp stable and 2 it keeps all the crap in the air settling on it. With a cat, dog, 7 year old, pellet stove, and wood stove, there is lots of stuff in the air and it always finds it's way to the plug, always. Nothing worse than seeing a big hunk of smegma stuck in the finish after all that time put in. The top eliminates it pretty much. Good luck

If you have kids (or are younger like I am) you can use an erector set or K'Nex to build a crude drying wheel. I was "playing" with the K'Nex, and while it wasn't the EASIEST thing, it did build a working drying wheel (there's a motor attachment for the K'Nex) and it cost me absolutly nothing as they were just collecting dust.

I will more then likely purchase a rotisserie motor and make a proper wheel, but for now it will suffice and for those on a budget who already have the stuff, why not!?

I made my wheel out of a $29 rotisserie kit I bought from the local hdwe store. A chain store.

The wheels are 16" diameter, and I used the forked meat holders to attach the wheels to the shaft. They have thumb turn set screws so I can adjust the distance between my wheels for different size lures, although I mostly just use extra paper clips to adjust the lenth of the lure attachments instead of moving the wheels. That way, I can coat and sping lures of different lengths at the same time.

If I'm only coating one lure, I will attach an already finished lure of similar weight opposite the lure to be coated to make the wheel balanced, which makes the load onthe motor even. These motors aren't the most robust, and eccentric loading (out of balance loading) puts a strain on them.

Here's a picture of my wheel. It took me 30 minutes to make, once I figured out what I wanted to do.

tn?sid=2101622168&mid=ADHPjkQAAP1mR46u4gjnlBiguek&partid=2&f=818&fid=Inbox

I should have the new no drip Nu-Lustre 55 by the end of next week. They are just finalizing the instruction pamphlets now. I'm really looking forward to trying this stuff out. It will be perfect for folks like us who have always had to rotate our baits to avoid runs and drips on the finishes.

It cures in 24 hours and can be brushed on from what I have been told. The added time and expense of making the lures rotate for hours as epoxy cures is something we'd all like to do away with.

Hi Snax,

I'm curious about the Nu-Lustre 55. Is it any good?

I should have the new no drip Nu-Lustre 55 by the end of next week. They are just finalizing the instruction pamphlets now. I'm really looking forward to trying this stuff out. It will be perfect for folks like us who have always had to rotate our baits to avoid runs and drips on the finishes.

It cures in 24 hours and can be brushed on from what I have been told. The added time and expense of making the lures rotate for hours as epoxy cures is something we'd all like to do away with.