lostinthewoods

Painting jig heads?

Hello all!

I just bought some jig heads off of eBay and I'm not too sure about painting them. I was thinking about just using my testors model paint. Is there something I need to etch the lead with first?

I don't really want to spend alot of money right now on powder paint and all the equiptment for it. Is there some other kind of paint that will work well if testors will not?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

lost

When I make jigs that I don't paint for awhile , I use self etching primer. It's about $12 a spray can. The primer will etch the lead, and keep it from oxidizing. Since I've been powder painting, I've never had any problems with it. Otherwise, just paint them like JIGNPIG said, and coat them with Devcon 2T 30 minute.

If you want to go real cheap. Then get ahold of some sharpie markers. They work great if you dont care if they dont look perferct. Trust me the fish dont care. If youre more of a perfectionist, then go with powder or basecoat with white paint and paint over with your choice color. If you use paint then I recommended coating with 2 ton (30 min. cure) devcon.

Tim, you can devcon over the vinyl paint but I don't think there is any need to. The vinyl jig paint is made for lead and is very durable.

Devcon will hold up longer than nail polish. IMO worth the extra work.

If you put your lure in and around the cover it needs to be they take a beating. Nail polish just can't take as much abuse.

IMO Devcon is necessary over vinyl or anything else if you use your jigs around any type of cover. If you mostly swim your jigs in open water then maybe you can get away with it, but if you flip or pitch most often around stumps, brush, or rocks then everything will chip without a topcoat.

Maybe I should be more specific. jpbullet is probably correct if you only put a coat of color vinyl paint and nothing else. On the shakey head jigs I paint with vinyl I first coat w/ white. Then dip in black or whatever color I am using. Then I top coat with the clear vinyl. I put these in all types of cover and will lose them before the paint starts chipping.

Dipping in the clear vinyl top coat is a little easier and faster than brushing on epoxy.

Trial and error. We all have our different styles. I really like putting out a suggestion and having people tell why it didn't work for them or it works great for them also. I have learned alot from the people on this site.

Thanks everyone.