dayooper

Removing Flux

I went out and tried a few cleaners and the only one i have that removed the flux from my brush was turpentine. but it seamed to leave a film on the brush. I wonder if you are doing that many if you soaked them in turpentine then use something to remove the turpentine? It might work I only cleaned my brush did not use it on a spoon. I hope this will help in the right direction.

I have tried a few things. I have a few soaking in acetone right now and hopefully that will work. I looked at the MEK and it seemed to be the same as the acetone. Plus Lowe's only had it in a gallon size. Didn't want to spend that much and only use a little bit. I also tried putting them in boiling water, the dishwasher (don't tell my wife:eek: ). I think the best bet is to put them in a jar with hot soapy water and shake them up for a while and then tke them out and scrup them with a tooth brush. Didn't think this was going to be that hard.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Benjamin

Cadman,

Funny you should say that. I did try that and it took most of the flux off, but it still left a film on it. I took very hot water and Dawn and put it in a jar with my jigigng spoons and shook it for a while. Drain, rinse, and repeat. So far that has been the best way to do it. What I have been doing now is putting the hot water and Dawn in the sink and then scrubbing them with a tooth brush and wiping them off with a towel. It works, but takes a while. It is amazing how your hand will cramp up from doing that:eek: . I guess the best thing for me to do is to take a wet cloth and wipe down the jigging spoon immediately after the solder hardens on the jig.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

Benjamin

Hello Benjamin, this may seem a bit off the wall, but I regularly use plaster disolving solution for removing post soldering off silver soldered appliances. This is in conjunction with an ultrasonic cleaner, but soaking your soldered items over night in the solution would work. As I am "across the pond" from you I do not know what USA propriety brands are available. If you know any Dental Technicians or Dental Laboratory suppliers, give them a ring and I am sure they will be able to put you on the plaster disolving solution I mean. I have used this method for years and the joints are perfectly clean. I hope this is of help to you

Regards

Pete

LedHed,

That worked great!!! :yeah: I ordered the Flux Remover from Mcarrmaster at 4:30 Friday night and it was delivered to my door on Monday. I sprayed a few of my jigging spoons and the flux came right off. By spraying them, I figured I would waste a bunch of the remover. So I sprayed it into a container and put all of my jigging spoons in. I shook it up real good and let it sit over night. Took them out and rinsed them in the sink. Works great!!! Thanks for all your suggestions. You can check out my jigging spoons in the my gallerey.

Thanks,

Benjamin