Topcoat sharp edges

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cartrpill

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 08:25 AM

I have been using Devcon 2 ton for my topcoat and rotating by hand usually for 45 minutes. I have made several flat sided baits where the epoxy flows away from the edges (1/8" radius) and doesn't completely cover the edges, so I end up putting on a second coat. I have tried rounding the edges off more and more on each new bait to see if I could stop this from happening. Are there any recommendations how to get the epoxy to stay on the edges, other than 2 coats? Or a minimum radius on the edges that should be used to keep this from happening?

#2 MaddoxBay

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:17 AM

You wont keep epoxy on the sharp edges. I really dont know what the minimum radius is but I just knock the edge down and I usually dont have a problem. You do have to be aware of the edges when applying the epoxy though.

#3 Lure--Prof

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:23 PM

If your designs demand a lot of edges that you can't knock down, you'd do well to switch to a moisture-cure urethane type of clear, or a clear lacquer, or anything but an epoxy.

#4 dampeoples

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:56 PM

Yeah, what Dean said, I'm using Dick Nite Lurecoat, and switched to it because of the devil of the self-leveling 'feature' of D2T, takes more than one coat, but two coats of Devcon, on a plastic trap, kills the rattle.