longhorn

Pouring table

Thought some of you youngsters would like to see what I used to pour all my plastic. It uses heat lamps in cannister light fixtures to cook the plastic and works really well. I bought the setup originally in Mineral Wells, TX in about 1975. The lamps were mounted on a 4x8 plywood table..I ended up with this configuration. It was from John Fox's worm "factory" when most worms were hand pours. It has served me well and I continue to pour often. I was prompted to post this because I read that mwave and burner are the two choices for heating plastic...the heat lamps are way better than a burner and much easier to control.

CIMG0021.JPG

CIMG0021.JPG

CIMG0021.JPG

CIMG0021.JPG

CIMG0021.JPG

CIMG0021.JPG

CIMG0021.JPG

1988_thumb.attach

Wow - what an idea. It is surprising that no one has ever talked about this type of heating.

When I raised chickens, I used infared heat lamps that were 110v and rated at 250 watts. With one on top and one on bottom, you would have 500 watts. I think my hot plate is 600 - 700 watts but it is all applied from the bottom so I would think this arrangement would heat just as quick because you wouldn't be loosing the heat out the top.

How long does it take to heat a cup of plastic?

I checked and the bulbs are 250 watt infrared heat lamps...don't have the data on heating a cup of plastic...when I buy a jug of plastic I cook it all and store the solid plastic for re-melting later. Today I poured a 1/2 cup batch and it was ready to pour in 8 minutes. The bottom lamp is 3 3/4" from the bottom of pan and the top is 4 3/4". This setup is way better than a hot plate.

That is very interesting. I wouldn't have thought it would be that quick. Now you really have my attention and my mind racing with ideas.

It seems like this would produce a slow even heating which I think is what allows you to start with solid plastic. Do you cook it clear and add color and salt when you reheat? How long can you leave the heat on?

I cook it all clear and pour it out on a tray to harden (about 1/4" thick)then I cut it in squares and store in ziploc bags. When I get ready to melt I cut it in smaller chunks which decreases the re-melting time. I add the color, flake and salt as needed. If you leave both lamps on the plastic will eventually burn, if you have enough plastic in the pan (1/2 cup or so) you can turn off the top lamp and let the plastic sit there for a while with no problem.

I thought I'd resurect this thread since it was mentioned in another and I have some interest in the heat lamp idea.

Tman2 asked in another thread if this might be a good way to keep multiple colors warm?

I'm also thinking that microwave users might get some benefit from a setup like this as well as a way to keep their plastic warm.

I've been working on another method for dipping tubes (see "Dipping Tubes from a Presto Pot") but this is the first time I've seen the heat lamp idea. Very intereresting.

longhorn, do you find that the plastic melts pretty evenly with this setup or does it melt from the outside first?

Thanks,

Ray

I’ve not used a microwave or presto pot so can’t do any real comparison but here are some advantages of the heat lamp system (in my opinion).

You heat and pour out of the same pan and no taking it in and out of the microwave…all you have to do is stir occasionally. I can’t imagine pouring out of a pyrex cup.

You don’t have to wear gloves since the pans have wooden or phenolic handles (wood is better).

You heat all your colors at once. I have only a two burner but for production or three or four colors you would just have more burners.

I think the system heats evenly and doesn’t take much special care while heating. Since the top and bottom lamps have separate switches you can turn off the top lamp and let the plastic sit there for a long time without burning.

This system heats your plastic during the pouring process so you’re only limited be the number of cavities you have. Here’s the process when pouring laminated baits:

I take the belly pan and pour one cavity…put it back on the heat and pour the back of the bait out of the other pan. I can continue to pour two-color baits and the plastic doesn’t cool off. If you were pouring solid color baits you could have two pans of the same color heating and if you have enough mold cavities do some serious production. I can’t imagine this process when having to put the plastic in and out of a microwave.

If you’ve filled all the cavities and have to wait for some to cool you simply turn off the top lamps and you plastic will remain at near pouring temp. without much chance of burning. With experience you get a feel for when to turn the lamps off and on. When you’re ready to start pouring again turn on the lamps and in a minute and a couple stirs and you’re ready to go again.

I also use this for horizontal dipping of swim baits. Since my pouring pans are large I can put enough plastic in to dip a bunch of baits without any special container or insulation… and when the plastic cools just put it back on while you take the finished baits out of the water.

I have my little home-made “table” on casters so I can easily move it around or even put it in the back of the truck and pour anywhere there’s electricity.

I can’t say this is better than a microwave but I think it is….and y’all can’t say a microwave is better until you’ve tried this. I must add for production of large quatities of solid color baits that presto pot looks hard to beat when using aluminum molds that pour through the top hole.