Lenox2k

Exotic Woods for Lures

I have been lurking on here reading, and have done a lot of turning of pens and other small items. I have now just got to try to do a lure. Has anyone tried making any of them from the very dense and colorful exotic woods like rosewood and spalded woods? If anyone has i would love to hear how they acted in the water.

I Just Made 3 Beautiful Jointed J-plugs Out Of Hickory Hammer Handles. They Have A Good Taper And Oval Shape To Balance Better In The Water. I Wanted A Heavy Barely Floating Slowww Wobble That Takes Over 3 Minutes To Retrive On A Long Cast!!! I Have Plenty Of Lighter Pine Plugs That Swim As Fast As I Want. Any Way.. I Filed, Sanded, Hachsawed, Painted, And Finished Them . I Even Bought Out The 20 Remaining Hammer Handles From The Discount Store !!! I Think Im Such A Great Luremaker I Did'nt Bother To Test Them For Bouancy Until I Was Done. (i Did't Want To Waste The Time!!) When I Tested Them They All Sank And Would't Swim At Allll!!!!!!!! Im Going To Make Hand Gaffs Out Of The Remaining Handles...... Be Careful Heavy Woods Work On Some Designs, But Balence Becomes An Issue, Adding Lead Weights Doesn't Always Help, And Testing As You Go Saves Alot Of Firewood !!!!

I Have Blanks Turned 1000 At A Time Out Of Pine And Get A Few With Knots And Grain Then I Finish It 1/2 Natural With Paint Only On The Top 1/2 (the Knot In The Wood Is Always On The Bottom For Balance) Ive Even Tried Different Color Stains For A Trout Pattern, The Right Piece Of Wood Comes Out Beautiful!! I Coat Them 2x With A Heavy 50/50 Resin. I Had A Machine Made With 98 Wood Screws That Spins At 30 Rpm And Dries Them For 8 Hours. Some Are So Nice Im Afraid To Use Them , Much Less Sell Them To An Unworthy Waterbeater..... Question} How Did That Mahogany Popper Work On The Water?