Lurehead03

Balsa Baits

Ok i've started making balsa cranks with some sucess my question is do you have to use a through wire or can you glue the lips into balsa. What I've been doing is pouring lead for the belly weight hook around a loop of 18ga. copper wire then gluing this into a 1/4 hole in the belly and drilling a 3/16th hole in the tail of the bait and filling this with devcon then inserting a loop of copper for the tail hook then i make my bill & line tie I leave tie about a inch longer than bill then i glue this into bait into a 1/8th hole wich i drill in the back of the slot is this going to hold up The reason I ask is some buddies are wanting to buy baits and i have'nt used them enough to know if this will work I've tried to pull them out with no success.

L.H. I'm no expert by no means but I'm building them both way's, I'll give you a tip for added strength though, I take my brass wire and hold it on round bend plier's and make my loop and then twist the remaining wire making it into a screw of sorts I leave it long enough that when I spread the epoxy on the wire it screws itself at least half way thru the bait when it's dry the only way to pull it out is by breaking the bait in half.There's a local guy making bait's where I live that's been doing it that way for about 20 year's,I've used his bait's for about 6 year's and never had one pull out,one word of caution though make sure your bait is sealed good(no leaks) as that tend's to weaken them,also you might try mojo weights drilled out and cut down if you don't want to fool with the lead pouring.

the reason i started doing it that way is it a lot quicker than cutting lure in halve and gluing it back with a through wire. I took a bagley's killerbee II apart and that was how it was made so i thought i'd try it that way so far i've not had any problems just did'nt want to sell some and have em come apart