dandeluxe

proper weight and alignment ?????

I'm a newbie and have made about 30 balsa crankbaits ..i used a 2 and 7/8 inch balsa body from janns ..they all look a lot like a bagleys d-b 3 or d-b 1 and 2's ..

my ? is how do you know what is the proper weight to install .. and

where is the the proper spot under the belly .. i try to copy off of the look of the bagleys balsas..

I am useing rattle cans to paint them because i'm afraid of my airbrush . and i have to wait for the weather to get warm so i can paint outside with my airbrush. no garage .. and it stinks the house up .

i made a oven that bakes at 135 degrees .with a small fan in it and hangers so i can get that baked on finish ..i know a lot of them are probably gonna flip and not run true . .and go nuts reeling in

i will have to learn how to tune them ..i saw belly weights at different weights ..i just wonder how you know what weight to use for each crankbait ..also i have used a few circuit board bills ..all glued with a 2 part epoxy glue .. devcon .. any pro tips are greatly appreciated ..

Thanks and GOD BESS, DANNY C.

DANS FIRST BALSA.jpg

DANS FIRST BALSA.jpg

DANS FIRST BALSA.jpg

DANS FIRST BALSA.jpg

DANS FIRST BALSA.jpg

DANS FIRST BALSA.jpg

DANS FIRST BALSA.jpg

1992_thumb.attach

Danny, most commercial wood baits are made with integrated ballast weight/belly hangers and you can make your own or buy them ready made from lurehardware.com or other suppliers. Alternatively, it works just as well to drill holes in front of and/or behind a plain wire belly hanger, insert lead and patch the holes with wood filler. Just a "guestimate" is that a 2 7/8" balsa lure "wants to be" about 1/2 oz total weight, without treble hooks. That suggests a ballast of around 1/4 oz. If you go with separate ballast, you can experiment by adding more via another hole or drilling out some ballast to get it perfected.