JDW11

New Member-Question on Painting Blanks

Hello:

I am a new member of TU. I have looked at this site occassionally over the past two years and have obtained some great information from the very knowledgable lure makers on this site. For that, I want to thank you!

I finally figured its time to register because I would like to participate more actively.

This leads me to my first question. I normally make Muskie baits out of wood, but have ordered some plastic factory blanks from a manufacturer. I use acrylic enamels (car paint) for my painting and use Zinsser Bulls Eye Primer/Sealer as a base coat on wood. What would you recommend to use (if any) as a base coat on the plactic baits? After I paint, I either use Envirotex or use the Centari Clear Coat over the baits.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Jim in MN

Depends on the effect you want on the plastic bodies, i sand them all with some 800 grit, then go to painting. No primer, or white coat will make them more translucent, and be carful with the e-tex, i've never used it, but have cleared some baits with D2T, and killed the action of them due to the extra weight (wee and pee wee warts), not sure what the Centari is. I use two coats of Dick Nite Lurecoat

Welcome aboard,all you really need to do on the plastic bodys is primer coat them before painting.check your blanks good before priming though because most of those things will have a very rough or raised seem where the body was molded together,if this is the case simply sand it down fairly smooth or it will really show up and look bad after you paint them.