pkocustom

Airbrush setup?

Good Morning to all! I spent a good portion of last night looking at all the pictures. You all have amazing talent! All baits I looked at, simply outstanding! I've been considering the purchase of a air brush setup. I know very little about the equipment, you what works , whats good, whats the best. I would take all advise I can get. Thank you all for your time. Patrick:worship:

An Iwata HP-C is a brush that is reasonably priced, pretty versatile, and very popular from what I've read on this board and others. Most that have purchase one seemed very happy with it.

You'll need a compressor with a pressure regulator so you can turn the pressure down to better control the amount of paint being ejected through the airbrush nozzle.

The Iwata HP-C also provides some control as to the sensitivity of the button you push and pull back to apply the paint.

A quality airbrush makes life a LOT easier. If you buy a cheap one, you'll most likely have far less control over the fine details that most guys like to incorporate into the painting process.

I was also thinking of a beginner setup and have asked some guys who paint in my club about theirs. Power cat has a nice setup for relatively cheap, less than 100 bucks on Ebay. I dont know much about em but you get the dual action airbrush, compressor, color cups and some tips in that kit. Search Ebay for dual action air brush, or powercat airbrush kits and you should see one for like 50 some bucks, it is close to 100 after shipping. I think it is a beginner set up but if you dont wanna spend a lot of money to get started the guys in my club say it is a good starter.

I would personally steer away from something like that starter setup you're talking about. Fellow on here once told me to buy local, you're gonna need a new needle, etc one day, and slogging around ebay trying to find a 'power cat' needle might not be very rewarding.

Check the Sunday paper, look for one of the chain art stores fliers, A.C. Moore and Michael's here have 40-50% coupons every week, then truck on up there and pick up a Badger 100 series at 40% off.

I didn't take all of kellure's advice, I started with a Paasche, ended up with an Iwata, but I've got extras! I've also got a name brand tool, something you can find parts for.

I use Badger brushes for all of my painting. I have a 100, 150, and a 175. All three have there place in my work area. The 175 is the workhorse of the three.

I have also used Iwata brushes and they are nice brushes. They atomize water color paint well and the pattern is uniform. When I buy another brush I am really going to consider an Iwata gravity feed.

I also agree with dampeoples, when you need parts you may have trouble finding them. The suggestion about the discount coupons is another good one. Keep an eye on Hobby Lobby and there website. They will offer a 40% off storewide coupon from time to time. They carry Iwata and Badger so you can get a good deal on a good brush.

Need more info on airbrushing. I have a new Pashe duel stage that was given to me new. Have had it for 2 years and never used it. I have a compressor with air regulator and hose. All I need is proper info to get me going. What air pressure? How thin do you thin the enamel paints down? And what type of thinner. All info. would be helpful. How about some of you veterens helping the new guy out with some tips you have aquired of the years. Thanks!

I've gone through several setups in the last few years. Now I use a Badger (free from a relative) but many guys prefer small tool compressors with an air tank and regulator/moisture filter (around $100). And you can use it for other stuff too :) As far as airbrushes, the Paasche VL and similar "mid priced" models go for around $75 and do a good job. But if you want to do detail work, consider one of the fine tip brushes like the Iwata HP-B+. It takes time to learn any brush and changing brushes means a new learning curve to climb. You'll get better results faster if you go straight to a fine tip brush. A comment about Chinese compressors you see on Ebay. My experience is they have 30 max psi for about 1 millisecond but their sustained working pressure is 15 psi - just barely adequate. Most guys want 30-45 psi.