Gloomisman

weird powder paint problem

I dont know if you guys have the same problem or not but here is mine.

when powder painting the brown works perfect, lightly coats, doesnt clog the eyelet. Just turns out awsome.

But

The black, watermelon, pumpkin always seems to clump up. I'm starting to wonder if there is moisture in it.

Its the same if I just dip the jig head in the jar or use my powder coating machine.(moron moment cant think of the name).

Do you guys have this problem or is it just me?

Gloomisman,

I can only tell you this from my experience. All my colors from Pro-tech, (CSI) flow nicely on a jig. I only built a fluid bed originally for one color. That was white. I've had a horrible time with white, now that I have a fluid bed it's 100% better. Though not as perfect as my other colors. I

"Have you had this problem with the same paint before?"

I've been using mostly the same jars dont make enough jigs that I've been using the same jar. I do have a de humidifier I'll set them close and turn it on see what happens. I might even set the oven real low or turn it on for a second and warm up the paint and try to drive out the moisture.

I never thought about the pepper grinder that would probably fix my problem. When I'm using the fluid bed I constantly stir the paint and stop right before I dip the jig head.

The paint between the brown and other colors is just so much fluffier in the fluid bed, thats why I'm leaning to moisture in it.

I think the clumping is caused by moisture. It also seems that some colors seem to clump no matter what. Watermelon is a good example of this and seems to be heavier than most colors. By heavier, I mean they don't seem to fluidize as readily as other colors like white and black.

In previous posts on the subject of powder painting, some members say that they don't use the vibrator on their fluid bed, only the air. Reading this, I experimented by using air only and air and vibrator together. I noticed that the vibrator feature will break up the clumps while air only will not. I use a lot of clear with glitters and I will turn off the vibrator because it seems to settle the glitter while air only keeps it suspended more. These are just my observations.

I also leave my powders in their cup. Must have 20 or so with different colors and clears with various glitters. Haven't had a problem with moisture getting in. Those little caps are so tight they are often ridiculously hard to remove.

The bottom line is, powder paint is very sensitive to moisture and precautions should be taken to avoiding contact with it.

Gloomisman.

I use the following manufacturers for my paint. Pro-tech, Herbies Magic Dust, Sherwin Williams, Dupont, IVC, Tiger Drylac and 4 or 5 others. This is my experience. I buy powder mostly 10 lbs at a time, especially white and black. Every manufactures paint from lot to lot stays the same for me. I buy black form Sherwin Williams. I

I have had the same problem with the white powder pigment only. I am curious if the white pigment is of a finer particle size which would also cause the material to pack more tightly than pigments of a larger particle size due to less air voids.