miles

cheapest way to get lead?

i do a little pouring and an kinda wondering what the cheapest way to get lead is. at work we sell it for 8.49 for 5 lbs. i get a 40% discount so thats like what, $1.03 per pound? does that seem like a decent deal?

i also have a relative that i can get lead from for like 10 bucks/25lbs, there are impurities in it though, and thats the only problem. are the impurities in it that big of a deal? he runs a recycling center and thats why its not pure. good deal though, if i could just get those different metals out.

They're not pure lead, but it works, long as your stuff isn't too detailed or small, got a few boxes of those. I also get some lead from a plumber buddy, he takes it out of something, works great.

I once bought some lead on eBay, already melted into ingots, worked out to a little less than $1/lb after shipping, not the best deal in the world, but it was convienent until my plumber buddy replineshed my stock

wheel weights work OK but they do have about 10% tin/antimony in them, which makes it pretty hard. Plus u have to skim off the metal clips and any paint or dirt on the weights too. Its pretty messy but you can get good deals if you dont mind casting hard lead (it doesnt matter for most sinkers).

well i think what my best bet will be is to get in from my relative at the recycling center. there are two other problems now that im stuck with. one is getting all the bad stuff out. how do i melt it down to get all the bad stuff? do i just put it in the production pot?

the other thing is that dang production pot. its clogged up like no other. i have tried a paper clip and it doesnt work to well. it cleaned it out a little and now it drips out, or comes out at an angle in a slow stream........i dont know how to get the junk out very well.....

For cleaning up wheel weights, I have a cast iron pot I put on my turkey fryer burner. I heap up the wheel weight in the pot and let them all met down. Then take a big magnet and hold it over the top of the pot and all the clips will stick to it. Then skim off all the crap and pour into ingots. The magnet works well in removing the clips.

Benjamin

www.tjstackle.com

The best place I have found lead is at large plumbing supply stores for the pros. they use it for no-hub fittings (cast iron) used for sewer in old schools and old buildings. it is only use for repairing the old line. they stuff a wool stick in the void the pour the soft lead in. the lead has to be soft for vibration . this is the softest lead i have found and purest. they come in 25# lots five 5# ingots. the price evades me right know but one of my friends keep me stocked with it!

This is a old topic but thought maybe some people have some new sources for lead. Just got approval to pour lead where I live and bought a poison tail mold and don't think wheel weights are the best source for someone starting out especially with that mold. I know a couple plumbers but I think they mainly do new construction.

Any other ideas???

Miles,

I used to have the same problem with my Production Pots (I'm assuming you have the production pot IV). If you make spinners of any kind or spinnerbaits take a piece of the wire about 2 1/2 times the length of the pot. Melt a 1/3 of a pot of lead and wait for it to come to temp. When it's all set use a screwdriver on the top of the opening bar it has a slit in it and just twist the bar back and forth.

Big thing keep a collection pot under the pour nozzle. Take the wire and slide it along the pour bar and run it out the nozzle and run it back and forth, and it should clean it right out. Adjust the bar until it doesn't drip after removing the wire.

Hope this helps

Fatman