Trim man

can I add weight to my deep diver?

I made some balsa deep diving crank baits this winter and I started trying them out today. All of them ran good but one, this one did not feel as heavy as the rest. I was woundering if i put another coat of devcon on to make the lure heavier? I would appreciate any suggestion.

thanks,

TRIM MAN

Devcon will add weight and little size to your bait. You probably don't want to add the weight uniformly to the outside of your bait because this will throw off the balance and will more than likely reduce the action. I use to think that since Devcon was so near the SG of water it was neutral. After thinking about this a little more, it seems like it would affect the action of the bait the same way a thin layer of water on the out side of the bait would (or when you are fishing and water starts to leak under the sealer and the action gets killed).

I think you would be better off to drill the bait and add the weight near the lower/center or between lip and front hook of the bait . After you drill, seal the hole (Devcon) and then add the weight and seal the hole smooth with the body with devcon (the devcon will also add to the weight and near the right area). It won't look as nice as another coat of Devcon but the fish will like it better.

Does this sound like the correct line of thought on this topic?

Welcome to TU

Palmetto Balsa. I agree with all that you said, especially the Devcon SG discussion.

Trim man. Is it possible that a variation in the lip size or (more likely) eye position crept into the manufacture. This would alter the angle of the lure relative to the reel line and would directly affect how heavy or light the lure feels, as well as affecting it's diving performance.

There is some metal strips that I think storm makes that it's just like tape. But I get fingernail polish and paint it over so it doesnt stand out. Another way, but it wouldnt work on that bait[bandits should work] and this is to get a drill and get hole feeler and squirt it in the hole you made with the drill. Then smooth the hole out with the feeler.

A coating of Devcon on a medium large crankbait adds about .03 oz to the weight, not very much. I use the Storm Suspend Strips/Dots on jerkbaits to suspend them in different temp water. The lead tape is nice since it allows to experiment with weight placement. If you choose to drill and put in more ballast, I recommend epoxying a piece of lead into the hole and refinishing. That's stronger than just dripping molten lead into a hole in balsa. In any event, don't ever slap a soft balsa lure on water to clear weeds, or the ballast will shoot out the bottom of the lure!