Again, if sensitivity is paramount why use a tennessee handle? Or even a spinning reel for that matter?

Ive built 4 for my own personal use over the past two seasons. My personal favorite at this time is the St. Croix scIII 3C69mlxf paired up with a chronarch 51mg. If you palm a reel and keep your thumb on the spool, it doesnt get much more sensitive than that. Just my thoughts.

Mike, Terry is keeping the index finger of his rod hand on the line all the time, with the line keeping pressure on his finger while working the bait--the only consideration for the rod handle would be whatever feels most comfortable to him in his other 3 fingers and thumb. While your technique is very sensitive also, most top anglers, from Billy Westmorland to the Hibdons have long agreed that because of the guides being upside down negating rod interference with the line, that the spinning rod has the advantage in sensitivity over the baitcaster. With lightweight, sensitive, equipment such as your current favorite outfit the difference is quite small. But the edge still goes to the finger on the line of the spinning rod.

Dean

Respectfully- I fish too much with spinning and baitcasting to ever agree with that. It is not feasable to keep you finger on the line the ENTIRE time with a spinning reel. As far as the rod interfering, lets just say Im not buyin that one either. Any one whoes ever handlined will tell you that the rod plays a crucial in sensitivity, it does not inhibit it.

But like dabassman said- Different strokes for different folks.

Mike, respectfully, "...all the time, with the line keeping pressure on his finger while working the bait"

I'm neither an idiot, nor senile; I'm quite aware that he is not keeping his finger on the line while reeling up to stay ahead of his slack, only while working the bait.

And I don't buy everything that is popular opinion either, but the vast majority of light line fisherman prefer the feel that spinning equipment gives them when fishing "feel" techniques; my extensive experience bears that out.

Dean

Dean, respectfully, no need to get ruffled, just discussing finer points. I dont think your an idiot, but would want to meet you before judging on the senility.:)

Bout the only thing I can think of that would merit the spinning rod would be possibly better drag, other than that, to each our own. Anyways, no need to hijack terrys thread further.

Terry, youve got my pm, let me know if your interested-Mike.

Good enough Mike, I initially responded just to close the communication gap between you and Terry; I thought if you understood why Terry wanted what he wanted, that you might see why he was set on that particular rod. That style rod has long been a favorite of Eastern highland impoundment lite-line fishermen, which was communicated to fisherman in the west so they could invent finesse fishing in California lol. (The late Billy Westmoreland would roll over in his grave to hear how the history of bass fishing lite has been rewritten in recent years.) I just hated to see a classic light-line rod not be built for someone who knew exactly what he wanted!

Dean (respectfully)

Now I may be stirring up a hornets nest on this one but...

For my dropshot I had a p7000 blank built. It is not the most sensitive rod, but on a drop shot I don't think sensitivity is paramount. I have always found that I really don't feel a bite as much as the rod tip just "loads up" and I just reel into the fish. The very wippy tip of the p7000 helps me to get a good hookset into the fish and has plenty of flexibility so that as soon as the fish gets it, the tip will put pressure on the fish (if that makes sense).

Also, this is my first post and I love the site!

Thanks

Chris

For my dropshot I had a p7000 blank built. It is not the most sensitive rod, but on a drop shot I don't think sensitivity is paramount. I have always found that I really don't feel a bite as much as the rod tip just "loads up" and I just reel into the fish. The very wippy tip of the p7000 helps me to get a good hookset into the fish and has plenty of flexibility so that as soon as the fish gets it, the tip will put pressure on the fish (if that makes sense). Chris

Chris,

What you are saying was essentially the philosophy of Tennessee lure maker Charlie Brewer, the man who brought forth Slider worms, jigheads, and a whole light line technique centered around his slider worms. He insisted that fiberglass rods were perfectly suited for fishing his way; when he brought out a signature rod, it was a relatively soft-tipped glass rod which he felt complimentedhis light line system perfectly...so you're in very good company.

Dean

I fish DS on a slack line. Typically I see my line twitch or when I pick up the slack, there's the weight of the fish. The only hits I feel are when the fish pulls up the slack. As for the spinning rod, the structure I fish would be impossible to do with a casting rod. There's no way to cast to a bridge pier and get a true vertical drop (20'+) all the way to the bottom with a casting setup.

I have plans to build my next tube rod with a Tenn. grip.

Hey good question raised above- who is makin shikari stuff these days?

Shikari is done. ATC (Advanced Tubular Composites) has purchased their tooling. The SHX graphite is totally reformulated and ATC now calls it ATC V. Additionally, many of the SHX mandrels have been redesigned. The SHIII and SHII graphites remain unchanged and are now ATC III and ATC II. There have been no changes to the mandrels for those blanks.