Lenox2k

Hook Size and Color

Red is supposed to disappear after a certain number of feet underwater, at which point it appears black, so if you're using a red hook on a shallow(ish) crank, it'll still be red. As far as it's attracting capabilities, I dunno.

I would say that #4 and #6 are probably some of the most common hook (treble) sizes found on plugs, I use Mustad Triple Grips, great hook IMO

This subject can be hard to understand, but here is a good description of the issue. http://www.saltwaterbassanglers.com/articles.htm

The bottom line IMO with red is simple, if you target fish in environments where red is a food source use lures that are red in color. Even though the color red is seen as black to a fish after a certain depth it is still the same food source. A red crawdad on the surface is still a red crawdad at depth, however the fish sees it as a black crawdad but does it stop eating crawdads?

Hope this helps,

DaveB.

Some guys, including some pros, like red trebles on the front hanger. Some say it gets bit better, some say it's just a confidence thing. JMHO, If you want red, why not just use red paint on the lure? My favorites are Gamakatsu Round Bend. Yes, expensive but also the best. Super sharp out of the box, stay sharp and have a nice gray-bronze low profile finish. IMO, next best is the VMC 7541, similar but black color. You usually get what you pay for in trebles. At $.80 a pair, Gamys are expensive but they're on all the cranks in my fishing box. Size? 55% #4's, 40% #6's and 5% #2's.

The red question is answered.

With red line it lets light through (traslucent) and disappears at about 3' water depth. Red hooks and hardware do not let light through, they reflect the light and therefore are well seen at most depths.

The color red is one of the first colors to transition to brown, then black with the loss of light. Typically, the deeper the water, the less light. The same can be said for low light conditions, murky water or on windy days with wave action, which also cuts the ability of light to penetrate water. A red hook, lure, line or anything for that matter, will be black without enough light to refract a red. That being said, it would seem reasonable that on shallow running lures, using red might be a good option, but with lures that are deeper than, say 5 feet, the color red will transition to brown, the ultimately transition to black. Personally, I use red hooks on shallow running cranks or medium cranks in water that is gin clear, but I can't tell you if it catches me more fish. I just think it does. Laughing

I have seen red hooks make a difference on topwaters, but that only happened under a certain set of conditions and outside of that one time I've seen red hooks mostly have a negative effect. As for what type of trebles, Owner trebles with cutting point are great they're very strong and extremely sharp and don't lose their edge.

Norcalbassin

not shocked to see the different answers on the hooks...personally the best hook is the one that is sharp out of the box and can be easily honed back after nailing a rock or two. I have not seen a hook yet that stands up to rock after rock that does not need some touch up on the water.:twocents: