TwoBits

Looking for a cheap drill press

Are there any basic bench mount drill presses for $50 or less ?

All I can find are those sold in Lowes, Home Depot, or Sears in the $100 range.

I have a very limited use for one and don't need a top of the line unit with any bells and whistles. Basically, I just want one with a tilting tray.

I don't think you'll find what you want in that price range unless it is at a flea market or yard sale. If you buy one at one of those type places make sure you plug it in and test it before you fork over any money. Check the adjustments as best you can without having your workpiece in your pocket.

There are also "jigs" or kits made to turn your hand-powered drill into a press type operation. Maybe you can make that work with some good old-fashioned ingenuity.

What I mean is that you can make a regular non-adjustable table work if you put some triangular wood blocks under the workpiece. Starts to get very cumbersome if you need multiple angle setups.

Harbor Freight sells cheap knock-offs that work pretty well. I get most of my power/air tools from them because they are cheap. I don't use my tools for work so it's hard for me to justify buying top-of-the-line with my wife! This one is a little more expensive than you are looking for but sometimes they have things in store that are even cheaper than online.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44506

They are in OK too- not sure how far away you are from the store. Funny thing about Harbor Freight- you can usually ask them if the item you want is going to go on sale soon and usually they do about a week or 2 later! Not sure why that works but it has been my experince.

A Dremel is a consideration. I would have far more use for a Dremel than a bench top drill press. In fact, I saw a Dremel set at Lowes for $75, it was some kind of anniversary special. What do you consider a bigger drill bit ? I doubt if I ever use over 1/4 " bit .

This may be just the ticket, here's the rotary tool drill press accessory ...

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Power+Tool+Accessories&pid=00953169000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Rotary+Tool&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

This would be far more versatile than the drill press. I could justify spending more money. Now, how much money do I want to spend on a Dremel ? Just the basic tool or a set with a lot of accessories ?

The one you linked to at Sears looks very nice. By looking at the picture I don't think you'd get the tilt capability you mentioned before. But overall I think you would find more uses with the Dremel and press kit setup rather than the full size drill press. If you are doing production style work or larger baits then you would possibly need the full size drill press.

The flex shaft is an awesome accessory...don't have one and wish I did. It's basically like a long flexible pencil sized shaft that extends from the chuck of the Dremel. It is a whole lot easier to do detail carving, etc. if you have it. Also easier on the wrists if you're doing multiple carving.

You would probably want several carving bits, some cutoff disks, maybe a wire brush accessory, a polishing bit, small drill bits, and perhaps more important than even the carving bits you want a sanding drum as well.

I probably have forgotten an accessory or two. So you'll be better off buying a kit with accessories. They sell the individual bits and pieces for two or three bucks each, so once you do the math in the store you'll see what I mean.

The Dremel tool alone usually runs around $25 to $35 dollars. I personally don't think brand matters all that much, shop for the features you want. The kits usually start around $35 and up, but are worth it if they have the basic stuff you need.

You will find many uses for that tool aside from tackle.

I bought the $39 harbor Freight Drill Press, which is fine for light use. I use mine mostly for drilling balsa or using Forstner bits on softwoods for surface lures. I wouldn't be without a drill press, any more than I'd be without a Dremel and a bunch of different bits, and a sander or 2, and a scroll saw or band saw: Bench tools make accuracy so much simpler!

Dean

Drill press problem solved .........by one trip to Harbor Freight . Bought a 5-speed for $40 + tax . Exactly what I was looking for at a price I wanted to pay.

This drill press was the same price as the Dremel attachment at Sears but I won't be limited to small bits, which I believe the largest bit size for the Dremel is 1/8 " .

This is a great site because it has great posters !! Mucho thanks for the guide in the right direction.

And hey, that Harbor Frieght place is the deal huh ? I could spend a lot of time and money in there, wishin I'd bought a drill press vice while I was there.