bass4cache

Tungsten beads for internal rattles?

Just curious if anyone has experimented with tungsten in their plastic bodied cranks? I know a few of the top of line production baits are using it in some of there stuff. I was thinking about using tungsten beads. I think I can get a different sound by using something other than steel bb's.

I have been using the silica beads that come in packets that absorb moisture in the electronics, shoes, etc.. that you buy . They are the packets that say "Do Not Eat" on them. Just tear open the package and take a look at them. They come in various sizes, have minimal weight, and have a fairly loud/unique rattle. Best of all, they are free.

Not sure where to get tungsten bb's (shotshells?), but I think the commercial cranks with tungsten weights have them enclosed in an internal plastic chamber to control their movement. Otherwise you'd have heavy weight shifts in the bait that might compromise its action. For a different, louder rattle, some Japanese lure manufacturers use glass beads. I've used them in rattle chambers in wood crankbaits and they sound sharper and louder than lead or steel. They also work well as an "additive" to lipless crankbaits to get a distinct sound. Any size from 3 to 7 mm works well, depending on the size of the chamber. Another reason I like them as a builder is they aren't weighty, so I don't have to worry about adjusting ballast or unbalancing the lure.

The price of Tungsten is highly volatile in the market place. It is usually sold as powder and the best price I have ever found is $19/lb. Corbits reloading supply sells it for just over $50/lb. In the Japanese baits, it is used as a weight transfer to make the baits cast straighter and farther with out tumbling.

I would like to know if you find it in a shot gun shell.

After checking the Federal web site. I found out that Hevi Shot is a touch heavier than lead 11g/cc and hevi shot is 12g/cc. It is made of Tungsten, Nickle and Iron and has inconsistent shapes and sizes. I think that a round shape would work best for a rattle.

Here is some info on it.

http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/prodinfo.asp?number=0557002 $129.00/7 lbs.

00 Buck shot is $279/7 lbs.

Where to get just the shot. http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/departments.asp?dept=63

FAQ about Hevi Shot http://www.hevishot.com/faq.html

Pure Tungsten is about 85% heavier by volume than lead and the hevi shot is a little less than 10% heavier. It sounds like the solution for water foul hunters but only as a substitute for lead in shot.

It would be nice to find pure tungsten beads or balls (or near pure) at a reasonable price. If someone finds a source please let us know.