fatfingers

Drunken watercolor jerkbait

stubbydude032.jpg

stubbydude033.jpg

stubbydude031.jpg

This was my first attempt at a lathe-made jerkbait with a Lexan guide on the tail. I'm still trying to figure out a way to build a jig that will allow me to make the tail cut on the same horizontal plane as the slope-cut on the forehead of these things.

I eyeballed this one and luckily it came out right, but I was hoping to get some idea from some of the engineering minds on this board.

You cut the forehead on the beltsander, then you need to cut the slot for the lexan piece that goes in the tail. That's where it gets VERY tricky. It has to be level, meaning that if the tail guide (which looks like a lexan lip stuck in the tail) is cut at the wrong angle, the bait will swerve to one side and either up or down because it acts like a tail rudder.

Any ideas on how to build a jig to coordinate the head slope which is flat and the tail slot?

And while we're at it, cutting the tail slot is problematic because even if you've got the angle right, you have no flat surfaces to use as a guide to make sure you cut the slot evenly and straight on the horizontal axis of the tail.

Ideas on that would be appreciated also.

Fatfingers, Beautiful lure, I'll take two!!! About the cut's. Why don't you leave the end stock on after turning. Cut through the rear one for your tail piece, it will remain level with the excess stock. And , why not make the cut for the front slope at the same time with the bandsaw? This should keep both cut's in the same relation. Just a thought.

Douglas

That's so simple, I don't know why it never occurred to me, but I'm VERY new at this lathe stuff. (That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!:lol:)

Actually I've made two of these, one is out in the paint shop waiting to be finished. I made them both from dowel material and made the forehead cuts on the beltsander, but it would be just as easy to make them from square stock. I'd just have to make sure that the grail lays out right so that the belly hook hangers are inserted in a cross-grain manner for maximum strength.

Thanks for tip and the compliment, rowhunter.