BruceKY

after sealing/before paint

5 posts in this topic

Lots of talk about how to seal a bait. What should I be using between epoxy sealed wood and acrylic paint? What if I use Prop dip?

I have been sealing basswood and pine baits for muskie with thinned e-tex. I let it cure for a couple days, sand, and prime with some gray automotive primer. I am out of primer and would like to buy something new. Preferably white for a base color. What products work best? I always finish with a couple layers of e-tex.

Thanks,

Bruce

All you need is a base coat of white over the E-tex. I just use opaque white Createx over the E-tex which is prepped by a very light sanding and then wiped with alcohol. Or you could use any white that is compatable with your paint, but there is no need for a primer over your prepped E-tex.

Dean

I do the same as Dean. And IMO, auto primer tends to make baits smell bad even after the epoxy topcoat cures. I just don't see any value in using a solvent based primer between epoxy undercoating and acrylic colors unless you are building with a wood like redwood that will leak stain through the finish.

An interesting alternative to chemical sealers/fillers is egg whites. I have used this technique on gun stocks and it works great. One egg white would be more than sufficient for a lure. Apply with your finger and let dry (15 minutes.) Sand with 400 grit, or finer paper. Use at least 4 applications.