:huh: guys i was wondering if the fore grip, reel seat and the rear grip( on a spincast or baitcaster) made of wood be worth it? i was courious to what effect that moisture and temp. varriations thru the season and being stored in a boat rod locker would have on this setup. i appreciate any thoughts that anyone would have about this subject.

snooterfish

Wood is great depending on the wood. You must consider weight and it must be treated and sealed. Wood is more for looks than performance. The goal for most anglers and their builders is to get the rod as light as possible. Wood is not an option. If performance is not an issue and you want the rod to look great, then one of the many exotic woods available is the way to go.

A good exotic hardwood like teak Rosewoods and such do not swell or distort as much as the softer domestic woods. However you must figure about a good 8 to 12 oz of weight in the handle and seat to balance. Also a very tired harm at the end of a long day

John Lenox2k

I have to add also after thinking over your questionanother point. I'm a retired cabinetmaker of about 30yrs of owning my own shop. I found several things to ponder to make my business sucessfull I had to do a lot of production work wihich had very little challenge to it. So to feed my ego I use to do a few ego pieces a yr they where never money makers, but the beauty and satisfaction made my trade (work) intersting for me. If you want to do a beautiful rod to gratify yourself in its beauty then go for it and enjoy the art of doing it. All things are not ment to be funtionial. Some just for the beauty of the work.

John Lenox2k