Whiz Jig

Coating with clear Dixie cups.

i tried the Solo cups in lacquer thinner with no luck. the cups did not dissolve. let them sit all day, still nothing. i went to walmart and got the cheapest cup they sell, Chinet brand and they dissolved with no problem. when using a jar with a screw on lid keep the jar mouth and the lid cleaned off. excess coating will glue the lid to the jar and you won't get it off.

Yes, use acetone! Companies put various solvents in a can and call it lacquer thinner. The present mix of the popular brand Klean Strip is mostly denatured alcohol which is lousy for disolving plastic or propionate. Acetone works like a charm and dries faster too.

Personally, I don't use prop pellets for clearcoating because I feel epoxy or water cured polyurethane are clearer and more durable. But it's great for waterproofing a lure before you paint it and multiple coats of prop are a very good way to reinforce soft balsa baits. After messing up many paint jobs, I now flash dry each shot of acrylic latex paint with a hair dryer before moving on to the next color. That way, no problems with touchng the paint, etc while painting...plus, when you're finished, you can clearcoat immediately.

Yeah I agree with BOB!!! The only thing I use dixie cups for.. well the only two things I use dixie cups for.. wait.. well the only three things I use dixie cups for is..

1. Spitting my skoal in them

2. Washing out my mouth after I brush my teeth to clean the skoal out

3. Putting epoxy in them so I can mix it up and clear coat a lure.

I cant think of anymore uses for a Dixie cup! HEY THIS COULD BE A POST!!! NAME ALL THE USES OF A DIXIE CUP!!! SEE HOW MANY WE CAN COME UP WITH!!! Bob your a senior here.. you start it.. I will get it going by ticking someone off..

Whteglve, you may find more on propionate if you google cellulose propionate. It makes a good waterproof undercoating and is also good for reinforcing balsa baits with multiple dips (I use 7-B). I haven't tried anything else but sometimes I think we make things more complicated than necessary. For hardwood baits, anything that keeps the wood grain from rising when hit with a water based paint is OK, IMO. You're gonna coat the bait with a tough waterproof clearcoat later anyway. The same thing goes for balsa BUT I think prop makes a harder, smoother reinforcing undercoating than epoxy on soft balsa. I like the prop pellets because they are easy to use. Disolve some in acetone and do multiple dips with a few minutes between dips. When I run out of the ones I got from Swede (they do last a long time however), I'll try disolving some of the translucent 3 oz SOLO cups in acetone to see how it works, just for laughs. I won't use prop or other "homebrew" coatings for clearcoating baits. I just don't think it's as durable or or has the clarity of either epoxy or water cured polyurethane like Dicknite Lurecoat.