VMAXX

Football jig mold?

Be careful with the style of flat eye hooks you use. I ordered the heavy wire Mustad 32796 because Barlows listed it as an alternate hook. It doesn't work unless you want to modify the mold. The distance from the eye to the bend is different, so it doesn't fit. You have to use the Mustad 32798 regular wire flat eye hook. I don't know about the other brands. According to Do-it the mold is designed to use the Mustad hooks.

I am also looking for a mold that does 3/4oz flateye 60 degree. The one I saw on do-it that did the regular and flat eye only went up to 1/2oz. I have never made my own jigs but I am looking for molds and tips on tying and materials. Where can I find a mold that does 3/4oz with weedguard that has more than one cavity? I noticed alot of the footballhead molds had various sizes on one mold which made it seem like you can only pour one at a time, is that correct?

Also where do you guys normally get soft lead and how much can I expect to pay? The two main reasons I want to make my own jigs is first so I can make my own color combinations and second to save money. Thanks in advance.

TomG

Check out shawncollinscustom.com for a mold.

Soft lead can go for free (if you have the right connections) to about $1 a pound. Check out your local recycle places or ebay.

It will take you a long time to save money but you will have your custom color combinations when you want them.

Why would you want the flat eye on such a heavy jig? I understand it looks better than just a 60 straight, but think about this. 90% of the time you are fishing the football jig in rock, when you pull on the line the jig tips up, thus your knot will be grinding into all of those rocks with it. I dont know about you but I fish my football jigs on floro so that does not go over well with me when floro's knot strength is less than mono. The regular 60 is much better for that jig in the sense the knot gets to ride up instead of into. And I fish football jigs alot and it seems the flat eye gets hung up more jmho:huh: Also like someone else said The mold that do-it makes for the flat eye does not get to 3/4 or above. You will have to buy the bigger mold and modify it to take the flat eye

The reason I was wanting to go with the flat eye is that I fish 3/4oz football heads alot and this past year I switched over to the 3/4oz Jewel football head and I love that jig. I am not sure if its exactly 60 degree or not the website only says specially made hook. I seem to hang up less with that flat eye than when I fished the other straight eye hooks in previous years. I am still researching but like I said my only reason was because I like the Jewel jig so much.

Yea, and they aren't as expesive as some of them. I just can't see paying 3 or 4 dollars for one football jig. Like you I lose my fair share which is why I am now looking into pouring and tying my own. Seems like once you pay for the inital supplies and tools it cost way less to make your own versus buying them..

I like the brown craw but just found out it is being discountinued, another good reason to start tying my own. I may have to look into the heads you are talking about, all I am concerned about is getting a good hook set and having a jig that doesn't hang up as much. So maybe the 60 degree striaght eyelet would be as good. I fish mine on 15lb P-line flurorclear most of the time.

I started pouring my own cause I would loose about 5-7 a weekend. After the initial setup costs it is alot cheaper. I am putting about 85-90 cents a jig right now. It is also nice to catch fish on something you made and I dont feel as bad loosing them at that price. I am just not in the market to sell them, I give some to my friends and that is about it. I just got the shakey head that has the 60 flat and that is what I am going to sell. Every tx I fish I hear people gripe about the price of a shakey, so that is what I will be selling.