Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Anonymous

Screens for scale detail

11 posts in this topic

Where can I purchase screens for good scale detail for airbrushing my hard baits?

Thanks

my fabric shop doesn't have a good selection and i would like to have something to try to create a crawfish pattern. where else can i get some big scale pattern stuff or how can i create a crawfish pattern?

Check out WalMart in the crafts section or go to a Ben Franklin craft store. Theres also Hobby Lobby and Jo Ann fabric stores. I will see if I can scan a sample or two of what I use and post it here. Ken Schmitz Mylures

I found a great deal on mesh at Wal-Mart. They had soccer ball bags in the sporting goods section, on sale for $5.00 The bags fit about a dozen soccer balls. It looks like you get around 3 yards of mesh for $5.00 The holes are around one quarter of an inch in diameter. I found that stretching the mesh gives an interesting diamond shape to the holes.

What I've been using for years is an aquarium dip net from Walmart. It works good for a small scale pattern and stretches well around the lures.

Tuff-Tackle

A square yard of thule is about $1.89. I use it to tie roe sacks, as well as painting. It comes in a neat octagon pattern too.

found a butterfly net at the dollar store in the toy section. great for octagonal scales on small baits and it's only $1.

Depending on the size of your baits (i make BIG muskie baits) you can use the mesh athletic bags or athletic jerseys (pinnies) that phys ed. departments in the schools use. They work great and can be used over and over until they've absorbed too much paint.