tater

x-rap mirror finish???

ive been making spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, soft plastics, and jigs for years but i've only been painting cranks for about 3 months now...i was wondering how to get the prism type of finish found on the x-raps. i love the "silver" color rapala makes and havent been able to figure out how to come close the the reflective value it has. thanks ahead of time! :tipsy:

Tater

Chowan River Lure Co.

i figured it was some kind of foil, but i have yet to find anything that reflects quite the same way. all the reflective tape i have seen has been patterned...maybe it's just one of those great mysteries in life i aint smart enuff to figure out :lol:

i would love to see what that finish would do on a shallow running crank...running it down the edge of all these pads we got, things could get interesting! wouldnt look bad on a DT-4 either :?

Tater

Chowan River Lure Co.

When the topic of mirror finish comes up, the usual answer is that nothing seems readily available for hobby builders. Manufacturers use custom foil wraps or special paints. Unless you want to spend more than $100 for special chrome paint that actually works (most doesn't), our solution is usually to foil the bait. But I'd be worried that a "typical" foil job on an X-Rap would be too heavy and ruin the action. Not saying the right foil couldn't be found and the right techniques used to minimize the weight, but I bet it would be a real pain.

or if u can make molded lures with wooden core, and let's say covered in epoxy, or plastic to take the final lure shape, than it's possible, otherwise it's kinda......

The x-raps have the foil incased inside. That happens when they put the 2 parts together, they slip the holo foil between the parts, and after that get up to painting the lure. It's about the same as the soft plastics with holografig tape inserts,

U won't see that on a DT, since it's a wooden lure. But u can find shallow runners with holographic inserts on the market. I guess u should look for storm lures.

thanks guys...i think what i am going to do is take some mirror sticker material like they use on toy mirrors for kids and tint it with a transparent paint to see what i come up with. i know it wont be perfect but maybe i can get something similar anyway.