Cliff

Thru-wire

Hi all. I've been making deep musky cranks for a while, but until recently have been using screw eyes or slotted/pinned connections. The baits I'm working on now, are prime candidates for thru wire via a drilled hole from head to tail and looping eye at tail similar to Dana baits or Perrywinkles. I'm curious as to how some of you do the belly eye. In particular when you pour the lead in the belly eye hole. I want to keep the lip and main wire out until after painting if possible. Any advice on steps for this style would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Cliff B)

A picture would have saved lots of typing, but maybe I can make this understandable, so here we go:

Change your point of view. Instead of thinking about your through wire running from nose to tail and wondering "How do I handle the belly loop?". Think: start at the belly loop's hole. The belly hole will eventually contain the weight and the loop for the belly hook.

The wire is bent in half with a "U" shaped bend. One hole is drilled at an angle from the belly hole to the nose. The other hole is drilled from the belly hole to the tail. If you could see through the body from the side, the two holes for the wire would form a flattened vee.

Make a couple little tools by epoxying a short piece of wire into the end of a couple short pieces of dowel rod. Diameter of the dowel doesn't matter. It's just a handle. The diameter of the wire does matter. It needs to be just a little larger than the through wire.

Before pouring the lead into the belly hole, insert your new tools into the wire holes. Pour the lead. Let it cool slightly. Pull the tools out.

Paint and clear coat the lure.

You should be able to work your through wire through the belly weight and out the holes. You'll have to work both sides at once, in a rocking fashion. Using a longer wire makes it easier to twist your loops, later.

Slide a cup washer over the ends of the wire (if you want a nice finished look). Twist your nose and tail loops. Attach hooks with split rings and you're ready to go fishing.

Alternatively, you could insert the wire before pouring the lead. A wire brush in your Dremel will quickly and cleanly remove the paint and clear coat from your wire loops. I would recommend doing it this way. Some paint and clear coat will work its way along the wire and make a better seal. By installing the wire after the lure is painted, water will work in, swell the wood and make the paint crack and peal off.

Oh yeah, don't forget to show us a picture of your efforts.