Esoteric

Overspray with rattle cans

Any tips on how to avoid it?

Are you talking about overspray on the lure or on everything else?

Overspray on the lure can be controlled in the ways already mentioned plus by using masking tape. You should shake most rattle sprays for at least one minute and maybe longer to agitate the paint and avoid splatter. Keep the nozzles as clean as you can by wiping the spray hole off when you are finished.

If you are talking about overspray that might go all over the shop, etc. then I would recommend one of two things:

1) Build a small spray box. This can be as simple as a cardboard box with a string or other method to suspend the bait by spraying. Or you can grip the bait with forceps, etc. and hold it in the box while spraying.

2) Move the rattle can spraying operation outdoors. That is the simplest option. Just make sure you're not near vehicles, etc. that will catch any overspray. I've often suspended lures from overhanging tree limbs if I needed to spin the bait while spraying.

Esoteric, you have an interesting avatar.

Luke

depends what your tryng to do,i don't mind a slight overspray on base coats because it helps to blend in the colours,i use a special effect's paint with glitter that i use to blend the paint's together.

for details you need templates,for backs of lures i cut a narrow strip out of cardboard and hold the lure underneath then spray through that,this stops the overspray down the sides which i found used to ruin a lot of my lures

Mark

Thanks for all the replies :)

I should have made myself more clear but most of you have worked it out.I was thinking specifically about blending colours without the use of stencils and masking tape etc, although I do use those for the details. Also spraying the backs of narrow lures was always a problem so thanks to Mark for the tip on that. I will have a look at the different nozzles as well and see what I come up with. Thanks again guys.

Doomdart, my avatar is a fish I caught on a recent trip to India. It has been a lifelong ambition to catch one of these so I'm very happy. Doesn't look that big in the picture but it's a 55lb Silver Mahseer, reputed to be the hardest fighting freshwater fish in the world. I've changed the colour of the photo though to make it look a bit 'olde worlde'.

Yes, what BEZBY and Cheesehead are telling you is 1000% correct. Wet paint on wet paint helps the blend. As does the glitter spray. As does Rustoleum lacquer spray (brand might not be available to you in UK). If you try lacquer spray, test it out a few times with the paint you use. You can have a reaction with certain types of paint that will absolutely ruin your lure or create the most awesome finish that you can't reproduce every time.

Sadly I don't take good enough notes to tell you about specific paint/lacquer combinations to avoid. I've read the answer to the reaction problem here before, but I think the chemicals are seeping into my brain.