Theflyingplatypus

For all you people that can't find lexan

I think Pikeman was trying to be helpful with his response. Other members have used the CDs before and have had trouble with them breaking. Their experiences have been shared here in the past and he was just passing that along.

Thanks for trying to help with the Lexan because I am looking for some 1/16 as I type. I will be placing an order today for a sheet of micarta and a sheet of polycarbonate today with http://www.rplastics.com/index.html .

I think if I spent another 2 weeks looking I should be able to find some scrap around town, at a cheap price that would work but I have grown tired of looking. Lowe's and HD only had the thicker size and that isn't what I was looking for.

It was a joke, not an insult. The cds I am useing seem to be stronger than other brands. I took another cd and tried it and it broke really easy. But the stuff I have won't break, it just bends. I put a piece in the freazer for over an hour and it still did not break. So I don't know if your using the wrong brand or what but I know that mine is strong enough for bills. I'm going to make a diver with this stuff and dig a rocky bottom really hard and then see how well this stuff holds up. If not it will still be good for shallow minnow baits.

I don't know anyone that uses crankbaits in the dead of winter.

If your crankbaits are never exposed to a cold morning, if you never fish anytime anywhere that the air temperature might be twenty or thirty degrees colder than the water temperature, and if you simply ignore productive patterns like crawling crankbaits just below the surface in eastern U.S. Highland reservoirs for some of the biggest Spotted Bass you've ever seen in the dead of winter, the CD's should work out very well for you.

Some like 5 minute epoxy for gluing them in, others prefer the slower cure stuff such as Devcon 2-Ton. If yellowing around the lip is a major concern, I'd stay with the slower curing stuff.

Thanks for the tip!

Alternatively, you can order several thicknesses and sheet sizes of polycarbonate from www.mcmastercarr.com

Dean

I think Pikeman was trying to be helpful with his response. Other members have used the CDs before and have had trouble with them breaking. Their experiences have been shared here in the past and he was just passing that along.

Thanks for trying to help with the Lexan because I am looking for some 1/16 as I type. I will be placing an order today for a sheet of micarta and a sheet of polycarbonate today with http://www.rplastics.com/index.html .

I think if I spent another 2 weeks looking I should be able to find some scrap around town, at a cheap price that would work but I have grown tired of looking. Lowe's and HD only had the thicker size and that isn't what I was looking for.

For Thin, Light, strong lip material, that is easily formed, Circuit board in the .031 size seems to be the ticket, although it's not clear. .022 SS also works well but is heavier and will effect the balance of a plug.

Thanks for the tip on McMaster. They had the size of Lexan/Polycarbonate and G10/FR4/Micarta/Circuit Board/Garolite/Phenolic (too many names) in the sizes I was wanting to get and the shipping was very reasonable. Saved over $15 on shipping alone and saved $3 and $6 on the items respectively.

I had heard mention of McMasters in prior post but had never compared prices. They have 5 shipping locations for fast delivery and were very helpful. Thanks again and TU is the place with the information.

asp-rocketry.com sells .031" G-10 circuit board that is a mostly white, slightly greenish color. mcmaster.com has G-10 that is yellow and G-11 that is yellowish-green. The rocketry site is the only place I've found that sells small batches or single sheets of white circuit board. Mcmaster-Carr is cheaper if you like their colors, and they also sell various wire types that are useful for crankbaits. Both places have given me good service.

I don't know anyone that uses crankbaits in the dead of winter.

I use cranks in winter on rivers :whistle:good for pikes and aspius , anyway , you may experience problems with the crank hitting the rocks and you must glue the lips with epoxy cause other glues may damage them ;)