Tom S

Spray on clear coat

I am looking for the best spray on (rattle can) clear coat to use on hard plastic baits. I use createx paints and use e-tex on my wood baits but dont want to use it on hard plastic baits anymore, mostly because of added weight. Thanks!

Tom

I'd go to a good automotive paint store and ask their advice. You might also consider a clearcoat you can dip or brush. I use Dicknite's clear topcoat, which is a moisture-cure urethane and brush it on top of heat-cured (hair-dryer) Createx; it can also be dipped. It's tough stuff and goes on thin. A non-yellowing lacquer will also work.

Dean

Tom, I use Min-Wax brand "Spar Urethane" in the dark green spray can. Find it at Lowes or WalMart. I spray on about 4 or 5 coats, letting it tack up about 6-8 minutes between coats. If you want a glassier finish let it dry for 72 hours and sand lightly with 400 grit and do about 3 more coats.

One thing I like about it is that it comes in high gloss, semi gloss and satin too if you are after that old look. The Spar Urethane is tougher and more water proof than Poly Urethane. Hope this helps.

I've been searching for a quality top clearcoat for my lures for years. I read some of the posts regarding epoxies, laquers and urethanes but have not had the result I wanted from any of these.

I recently used a catalyzed custom automotive clear urethane from "House Of Kolor". I have used this paint for custom automotive applications for about 9 years and it is the most durable finish I'v found.

I'm searching for a durable top clearcoat for my homemade lures.

I'v tried epoxies, laquers and single part urethanes but none are 100% suitable in my opinion. The hooks on the lures destroy these clear finishes in a day of fishing (or less).

The best so far is a catalyzed automotive urethane from "House Of Kolor". I had some of these candy colors and clear left over from some helment paintjobs and found the clear to be hard and super glossy (but expensive).

Does anyone know of a source for clear gelcoat (I assume that polyester gelcoat is best as it would be much harder than epoxy).

AND would anyone recommend another type of clear topcoat?

U-Pol clear #1 is made for water based paints. Automotive stuff. I use it as a scratch coat under my epoxy. In a pinch you can use it as a top coat but won't hold up as good a epoxy but pretty good. Not cheap though and you need adequate ventilation , lots of it, it stinks to high heaven. Paul