Crymdawg

Help on reel seat repair/replacement

I have a Quantam Glass crankbait rod with a crack in the reel seat that spirals around the plastic seat body. The rod has sentimental value so I do not want to trash it. How do I measure to get a replacement reel seat or can I possibly repair by putting epoxy into te crack. This would be the first rod I would try to repair.

If you mean the nut that tightens the hood, It could be fixed by grooving it with a triangle file and wrapping it with tying thread and coating with epoxy. Be sure to grease the treads underneath to prevent the epoxy from sealing to them. I have gotten by before by using copper tying wire to hold a nut closed aroung the reel seat threads, even used a zip tie once on an old flyrod. Replacing it would likely mean taking some or most of the guides off to slide the new nut or seat in place.

Jerk

No not the hood, but the actual black reel seat where the feet of the reel comes in contact with the plastic tube that is around the rod. The hood moves up and down on this portion. I think what happened is that due to the pressure from being pushed in opposite directions the crack started and is now moving around this outer sleeve portion. I think I need to take the cork off the bottom of the handle to access this portion of the rod. I just do not want to screw up and order the wrong diameter or length. Do I have to dissassemble the handle assembly before I do the measurement?

I assume it is a spinning rod and the most common seat is a 16mm. That is the inside measurement of the tube. You can get pretty close to the right dimension without taking it apart by measuring the outside of the tube. I would suggest calling mudhole or fishtix and telling them what you are trying to do. They are fit from the top end and reamed to fit snug as you slide them down. You can get by with taking the rear grip off and then the seat but it will have to be filled with epoxy to fill the gaps under the seat. Maybe send a picture and we can help a little more.

jerk