Fatman

Lead Substitutes

I had posted by Mistake over in the Fly Tying section about Lead Substitutes, http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9187 and received alot of answers but have another one so I moved it over here. Have any of you ever tried a mix of the substitutes??? Like 2/3 tin and 1/3 bismuth??? or if you've tried others could you list them. I've never tried the straight bismuth but have heard it's very brittle.

I checked with Lee and was told my Production Pots should not be used for zinc,copper, silver, gold, aluminum, pewter or brass.

I don't have too much trouble with jigs as they aren't listed in the ban in Vermont yet, but sinkers are. Split shot I just buy them as it's just too much hassle to worry about.

Thanks,

Fatman

Fatman,

I use pewter in my LEE pots and have no problems what so ever. I have never mixed the alloys and don't know how that would work. What part of VT are ya in? I would not worry about the lead yet, I'm more concerned about the insane transport law they passed for Champlain. Having to do with the VHS disease. Can't bring fish from NY to VT and vice a versa. For those of you not familiar with Champlain the Southern end is only about 1/4 mile wide. Sorry for raging just another law not thought through. Good luck with your alloys!

Riverrat

I'm up in Northfield. I don't know how that stupid rule is going to be enforced lakewide anyway, what about the sections that are allowable to fish with the reciprocating license now?? That kinda throws their new law right in the ####ter don't it :whistle::whistle: They never really think things through.

Fatman

Fatman,

Your not to far north of me. I call Ascutney home. Worked alot at Allis state park for the summers a few years ago. Never liked crossing the floating bridge though! Ya the rule is insane, they will change it by july when the elite series comes to Plattsburg, they won't want to lose the all mighty$$$$$$. Well good fishing talk to ya later.

Riverrat