Leboeuf

Jig to powder?

I'm wondering, if anyone has tried going straight from the mold to powder paint? I realize that initially the jig would be too hot, and that a delay of some period would be required before dipping. I had in mind trying it with some 3/8 to 1/2 oz. heads, but if someone has any suggestions on the delay required, or why it may not be practical or feasible, I'd like to hear from you. Thanks.

One reason I wouldn't do it is because of the sprue, I take a small metal nail file and smooth the rough edges before painting. Another reason is the lead itself, it's hot in the center but cool on the outer edges so the powder won't adhere evenly.

oh, sure.......tried that.....the head cools too fast.....gate sprue and smoothing same is a problem, too.

What I did, was to set up my heat source right after the pot, and hit the head briefly to reheat, and then dip.......you may save some time on painting operations offline, but it will slow down your pouring production. It becomes a matter of the economics of the overall process....is the time you save on painting worth the time you lose on the head pouring.

JM

play with the process, and see if it works for you, and let us know

I tried this back in 1986 when I was pouring jigs and spinnerbaits. The process is way to slow in my opinion. I'd rather pour the heads all at once. Keeping the mold warm is a pain also. Jigs may not pour perfect every time (like they would when the mold is hot and stays hot).

My process started on the left with the lead pot and mold. Next to that was the pliers to get the sprue off. Third was a small bench grinder for smoothing out the bump. The heat source (one of those long lighters that you would use to light a grill). Then dump in the paint color of your choice. Last I would hang it on a special oven rack (for jigs) so the paint drips down the hook (and not the actual spinnerbait head. Spinnerbaits I would just hang them on a regular oven rack with the line tie on the top part of the bar. After filling up the rack (I could do 50 jigs on a rack or 100 spinnerbaits) I would then bake the lures.

All done with gloves on (a pretty good trick itself).

Was way too slow. I went back to doing all the heads at once, then working on the sprue, then painting.

I'll agree with all the posts here. You have to think of this whole process as a kind of production line. You pour all your jigs, you're done, Cut off all the sprues, you're done. I file all my sprue remains, nice and smooth, you're done. Now comes the painting which is the same process. Heat, dip, blend, heat more if needed, done. When I'm done with all the painting into the oven they go. I'm personally very picky about my quality. I don't want to be filing lead next to an open jar of powder paint. My painting process is the last step, and it's done on a clean towel with plenty of room, and a clean work space. Just my :twocents: worth.