RiverMan

swimbait tail material...what to use?

I am interested in building a swimbait but don't really want to bother with molding my own soft tail on the back of the lure. I'm curious as to whether anyone has found a material that could simply be cut into the correct shape and used in this manner. Perhaps there is a place where tails can be purchased?

Jed V

I know a guide that fishes wooden swimbaits and the first thing he does is remove the tail that came from the factory and replace it with a 4" soft plastic Fin-S jerkbait. He picked this type of jerkbait because it doesn't have the hook pocket like a Fluke or other comparable baits. The Fin-S comes in several different colors. He just picks one that matches the color of the swimbait and cuts it to the length he needs (which is about 3") and attaches it to the bait. It looks killer in the water.:yay:

If you dont want to pour your own tails then you can just cut the paddle tail off of a regular Fish Trap swimbait. Or you can order some spare tails from swimbait companies to use.

For some of my surface baits I have used a thin piece of wood because then it really creates a nice kick and a super wake!

this is how i made mine. ziplock freezer bags. i use windows paint program to print the image i want for the tail and fins on tissue paper ( search forum for tissue paper printing ). then i sandwich the image between twp pices of the ziplock bag with contact cement. contact cement is waterproof and will stay flexible. tape the 2 pieces of the bag down on a flat srface ( i use my cutting board ) because otherwise they will curl up and you won't get them apart. brush on the cement on each piece and let it dry well, about 15 minutes or more depending on how thick you put it on. on the image you do the same thing only not too thick, then take up the image and hang it up so it can air dry. after it has dried flip it over and do the other side. ok, now to assemble. carefully place the image on one piece of the ziplock you have taped down and smooth it easily with your finger. now take the other piece of plastic and place it glue side down on the image. again smooth with your finger to push out any air bubbles. i usually start laying the plastic down over the image at one side and smooth as i go. ok, all assembled and ready to go! in my cranks i cut a slot wher i want the tail or fins to go and imbed them in devcon. then you can use a Sharpie fine point marker to add detail. long process but gets nice results. Durability? try to tear a ziplock bag.

fish lures 002.jpg

fish lures 002.jpg

fish lures 002.jpg

fish lures 002.jpg

fish lures 002.jpg

fish lures 002.jpg

2062_thumb.attach

thanks, lots of fun to make. sure beats watching American Idol:) . have a question for you. cannot figure out how to post photos in the gallery. i don't see any link to it on the web page or i'm just missing it. have some lures i'd like to show. thanks, john

thanks, lots of fun to make. sure beats watching American Idol:) . have a question for you. cannot figure out how to post photos in the gallery. i don't see any link to it on the web page or i'm just missing it. have some lures i'd like to show. thanks, john

Click on Gallery at the top, about a third of the way from the top is a link to upload your pics, its called "Upload". Hope that helps.