spare tire

sealing question

5 posts in this topic

spare tire    10

I seal my baits with alchahol thinned devcon now, but I'm wanting to try acetone plastic cup method. I've thought I read every thing on this but I still have a question. On crankbaits I seal the weight holes with 5 min devcon then sand smooth, then seal with devcon 2 ton. If I do the same thing with acetone/plastic won't the acetone eat the devcon? And if I seal first, then 5 min epoxy the weights and plug hole, won't I sand off the plastic when trying to sand hole flush? Thanks for any help given.

Tim

Hoodaddy    0

Sapre tire,

I also set my hangers in 5 min. epoxy the same way you do and have not had a problem with the cup dip reacting with it. I still have'nt gotten any prop pellets from Swede :worship: ...... but still want to try them. I'll get around to it sometime.:yawn: Just remember .....use VIRGIN laquer thinner to melt your SOLO cups. A thinner by any other name is not the same.

Good dipping

Husky    13
I seal my baits with alchahol thinned devcon now, but I'm wanting to try acetone plastic cup method. I've thought I read every thing on this but I still have a question. On crankbaits I seal the weight holes with 5 min devcon then sand smooth, then seal with devcon 2 ton. If I do the same thing with acetone/plastic won't the acetone eat the devcon? And if I seal first, then 5 min epoxy the weights and plug hole, won't I sand off the plastic when trying to sand hole flush? Thanks for any help given.

Tim

My experience with "plastic melts" is that they don't adhere very well to bare metal. It didn't stick to foil, which is, of course, thin metal, and is easily removed. A little careful surgery with an exacto knife should pop it right off the metal.:twocents:

Swede    0

acetone will vaporize before the epoxy is affected ,same goes for VLT

both will evaporate before devcon is affected