fatfingers

Question for Musky Fisherman

I'm going to build some large musky/pike poppers.

My question is, has anyone had any success using such a thing for topwater musky fishing? I usually see only creepers and other prop baits built for musky so I'm curious as to any experience anyone has had with poppers.

I'll post a pic of the one I built later. (Gotta retrieve my camera from the Botswain's Locker on my boat:lol:)

Thanks, guys.

I'm going to give it a go this year and see what happens. I'm thinking that during mid-season, when the fish are often suspended under schools of bait fish over the open water, might be the time to be heaving something out there that looks like an injured shad or other bait fish.

I'm also going to be doing some night fishing for muskies around the 4th of July and the night bite on one of my local musky lakes really heats up around the 4th.

We also have a period when the muskies are "porpoising" and eating bait fish off the surface over open water. Can't seem to get them to eat anything we throw at them, so maybe a popper might trigger a reaction strike. I'll probably try a few different colors too see if that makes any difference.

I appreciate all the responses.

Good luck trying it out! Make sure to bump this thread with some progress reports. I also have caught pike on top water lures such as bass sized buzz baits. They are agressive so it may be what ever looks like an easy meal. Heck, I've caught them on jigs while fishing for bass so it's anyones guess.

Hi fatfinger!!Nice to see a musky treat!!Never fish for musky with poppers!!But i am pretty sure that they could work nice!!but try to make a popper that can work fast!!I am sure that it would catch more muskys!!prop surface lures are very good on night fishing!!!I made one a few years ago and it work very nice!!I am addicted to musky night fishing!!For me it's the best time to be on the water!!It's peaceful and there is no other boats!so the fish are feeding big time for sure!!!ad a lot of success on night fishing in the past!I like to troll whit some spinner baits at night!!!allways got a lot of fish that way!!dont realy know why but it's a very productive pattern!Hope to see some nice musky pics on your popper later !!!cheers.muskydan666

Here's what I've got so far.

June2007003.jpg

Its chopped out of pine and it has four glass rattles in the head, which I've decided to leave exposed so that they rattle a bit louder, as opposed to burying them under putty and paint:

Muskypopper.jpg

I put a coat of envirotex on after soaking the bait in sanding sealer. The envirotec smoothes out the finish and provides a good seat for the white Krylon stuff that bonds to plastic (which is what I use for primer on all my baits).

*Note the paint on my hands from last nights painting seesion.:eek::)