ghost

Why didn't I do this sooner???????

Today was my first day powder coating some jigheads and spinners. Up to this point I always painted them with a brush.

The time I saved today was impressive. The only problem I had was I buy my jigheads (can't afford all the molds yet) with weedguards in. As I was heating them with the air gun the guards would deform on me. First tried a straw but that just melted, second wrapped them in aluminum foil which solved that problem but then there was a section around the guard that didn't get paint. Did a search on TU about this problem because I knew it was discussed before and tomorrow I will go buy some small metal inserts to put over them. Should cure that problem.

The only other problem I had was my spinners were to big for the 1oz. jars so I either have to invest in a fluid bed or just buy 2oz jars???

Only had about 3 jigheads run out of 25 and only one of them was bad. So I was pretty impressed for my first go at it.

Just wanted to share my joy!!!! :yeah:

I use a heat gun and I have been just dipping the jigs hook first into the jars of Powder Paint. As long as the hook wasn't hot the PP just wiped right off clean.

I am going to us a bowl today, feel like a idiot for not thinking of that myself!! Sometimes the easiest solutions are the hardest ones to reach..

Hi Ghost

Another way to coat your parts would be to spray them. I use a electrostaic gun from Nordson http://www.nordson.com/ But if you are on a budget check out a craftsman gun http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=00917288000&vertical=Sears&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes this System features internal air generation (no compressor needed.) not bad for the price........

also check out some videos I made today

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/mullet_maffia/?action=view&current=100_1185.flv spray

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/mullet_maffia/?action=view&current=100_1186.flv after 10min cure

I tried the bowl today got better results but kept melting the bowl and then it snapped when I tried to pour the paint back in the jar and everything was purple. lol

Next I will try some salt shakers with modified holes.

Still struggling with covering the weed guards on my jigs. Tried numerous things but the weed guards still flare when I am done??????

Hey Jim...had the same problem with containers..heres the solution I lucked into....I was with my wife in a big "dollar" type store, and happened to see these nice, small "pudding bowls" or "relish bowls" - thick, smooth glass about 3 inches around and 2 1/2 inches deep. Perfect...plus 3 for a dollar!! I heat my heads in a dedicated toaster oven, then use a spoon to coat the bait over my bowl, a couple of taps with the hook on the lip of the bowl to shake the excess (heavy glass makes this easy!!)...and back in the toaster oven to cure...no fuss, no mess. Just an idea on your jigs...take out the weedguards, powder coat your bait...clean hole with drillbit...reglue...just a thought....

Hey Jim! I respect you so I won't say "Duh" LOL I simply meant that the ones I've had are all glued in with epoxy...If they were cast in they would have the same problem as you're having, right? Perhaps the ones I've had were different . MOST epoxies will soften with a little heat...maybe a little heat gun, or baking at 120 degrees or so for a while, well below your weedgaurd melting point...like I said it was just an idea...besides, the ones you provided pictures of looked like factory jobs to me...