lure buddy

Devcon Question?

Make sure it's a slower drying epoxy and have it on a rotating wheel. To get the air bubbles out, take a lighter and wave it back and forth under the bait on all sides/areas. You may need to pause the rotation each time you do this. This will make the epoxy a little for fluid again and it will also get rid of any air bubbles.

Don't wave too fast and too far away that it doesn't have any effect. But not so close you just char it. You should be able to see the epoxy start to sag a little bit - then it's enough. I think some guys might even do this a little quicker with a torch. I'd be careful though.

I use the same technique with a lighter for rod building once I have applied flex coat lite to my wraps. It gets the bubbles out - you can take a mixing stick and even dab off some of the excess as it starts to sag while the rod is rotating, and you get a very nice bubble-free crystal clear finish.

Also, remember and use this. After you have poured your clearcoat onto your flat surface to extend the pot life, gently blow your hot breath over teh surface and watch the bubbles disappear before you apply to the lure (Not like you are blowing out a candle, but like you are trying to fog a mirror). You can do this to the bait after application as well and it will make any surface bubbles disappear as well.

Also dont mix your clear with a wooden stick. The air that is trapped in the wood transfers into the epoxy. (or something like that ) I use a piece of 40 guage wire shaped to the contour of my mixing pot to be able to get all the unmixed epoxy out of the edges....guaranteeing a full mix. Chuck it up in a cordless drill.

I have used toothpicks before for stirring/application and haven't noticed any difference in the bubble problem. Maybe Hoodaddy is talking about the popsicle type sticks....would not recommend those either. Now I use wire like Hoodaddy says, but also use the same wire to apply. Small curve bent in the end, use inside and outside curve to apply on any bait shape. Pointed wire tip for tight spaces.

I haven't used brushes that often for this purpose, but suspect that it might be easier to add bubbles with a brush than a wire. Before you brush guys get angry, just realize I know that it can be applied perfectly either way.