TwoBits

Just bought a heat gun at Big Lots

I by no means am a expert since I just started using it on jigs, but I used it for years on my boots when I was in the army.

I let the gun heat up on high. Run it over all four sides of the jig twice and then dip the jigs and then run them through the gun again. That way I can see if I missed any spots right away.

Then I hang my jigs by the hook until I have a couple dozen then I cure them in the oven.

As long as the jigs don't have weed guards this works great. If they have weed guards I can't help you since I am still trying to figure that one out myself.

You should really enjoy the speed of the gun (I know I do)

I use a heat gun for all my painting. For a 1/8 ball jig I hit it for about 4 to 5 seconds. For a Arky head 1/4 4 to 5 seconds, for a 1/2 its about 8 to 9 seconds. I do like Ghost, I heat and paint 50 to 100 and then put them in the oven. I got my paint for Component system and They have a time and temp for ever different color.

TCCustom

TwoBits, for what it's worth I've been using a heat gun from day 1. I recently have changed to a dual heat digital heat gun by Wagner. I use a count method for my 1 color painting. Like (1,2,3,4, seconds) for a 1/8 oz jig. Different jig shapes, and diferent weight of jigs have slightly different count numbers in seconds. The reason I went to a digital heat gun is this. In the last 3 years I have been blending 4-5 colors on one jig. This is pretty hard to do when you have only one heat temp setting. I heat all my jigs on a 1250 deg heat gun (low setting). I blend all my colors on 850 degrees (low setting). I am in the process of making a perch and a bass pattern out of only powder paint in 6 colors. I'm close but as of yet no cigar. When I do I will post some pics on TU. As far as I'm concerned a heat gun is the only way to go. Just my:twocents: worth.

Hi Ron, This is what I do. The first color or base color is put on with a fluid bed. Most of the hooks I use are 570's,#2,#1,1/0, 2/0 and 3/0. If I get paint in the eyelet on the base coat, I immediately put a drill bit through the eyelet while the jig is still hot. This clears and cleans the eyelet immediately. After this, all colors are sprinkled on with a paint brush, and blended. I never get paint build-up in the eyelet, when I'm sprinkling powder on.

LedHed, I only use a base color to start my work, it goes on pretty thin. Also I have tried to use stencils, with some success. I will pm you with other questions, as to not take up too much space here. On my bass pattern. This is the color scheme I have come up with, belly..white or pearl, lower flank on both sides is Medical white (beige minitex powder) fade to Lime candy powder to mid to upper section both sides. Top down....gloss black fade over lime candy green. This combination looks awsome. The problem I'm having is the lateral line (splotches) on both side of the bass. I tried black powder, and it looks too pronounced...I've tried black marker same thing. I am getting some flat black powder in a couple of weeks, and going to try that. Also I am having a hard time trying to get consistency on the lateral line markings on both sides. This just may be too complicated to do with powder. On the perch color, white or pearl belly, gold to orange flanks, to fade into black. top down black. I am working on the vertical stripes in a green and a brown. Another obstacle consistency, from one side to the other side. Anyway, once I get this whole mess figured out if possible. I will post pictures. You know what guys, I either have way too much time on my hands(not), I'm obsessed with this stuff or just getting plain crazy. See you at the looney bin....Ted