Lenox2k

Fry Pan with heated sand for Dipping Powder Paint

John, if you are saying to heat the sand, then get a raw jig and dip it in the sand , and then dip it in the powder, then no I haven' t done this. First of all if that's what you want to do then you added another step, by heating sand. Why not just heat the jig, and then dip in powder? Also if you heat the sand and then dip, you probably will get sand on the jig or in the powder, which will give an unacceptable fininsh as far as I'm concerned. Answer to your second question, the powder does not get lumpy, from dipping hot jigs in it. It does get a little lumpy if it gets a lot of moisture in the powder from humidity. But the powder is still usable.

John,

I don't recomend heating your lure in sand either.

A candle can do it but I prefer to use a propane torch you might have for plumbing projects etc. Set it on a low burning temperature. For my 1/2 oz. spinner baits I rotate the bait in the heat for about 5 seconds and dip in the powdered paint. If you are using a small container 3-4" deep just make sure to fluff the paint periodically. It is very easy to produce professional results this way....Larry

As always I have several excellant answers to my question I want to thank you guys for the sound advice. The reason i was wondering about heating in sand is the is how I have always heated my plastic when shapping Pipe stems when making Briar pipes. But now that i think about it there is always a fine film of duct that hac to be wiped of after heating this way. Thanks again

Lenox2k John