lowfi

let it rip!!!

Hey guys,

thanks for the quick responses on my earlier posts. I am planning on epoxying 15 of my lures tommorow morning (the first coat to waterproof). I am going to add some 91% ISO to thin it out. I use the 2 hour devcon....should I get faster drying stuff (like 30 min.) to help with the added dry time due to thinning?:huh: I am super stoked to try making my own hook hangers. Do you have problems with drilling the hole for the homemade hangers/line ties? (what size 1/8, 1/16 drill bit?) Once I paint and finish my lures i will take some photos (I use spray cans..not airbrush....so I cant get thattttttt fancy) This site is awesome!

Take it easy,

Sean

Many guys use Devcon Two Ton. It levels out very well, cures to touch in 5 hrs and requires rotation for only the first hour of cure. Others like Envirotex Lite, a table top epoxy sold in 8 oz bottles (2ea) that contains some solvent, produces a thinner topcoat, and takes longer to cure. Don't be in a hurry but don't waste time. I brush around the lip and the tail first, then brush systematically down the length of the bait, making sure all areas are wetted out. You should feel you're laying it on smoothly, never brushing over dry areas where the drag on the brush increases. Too much brushing introduces bubbles. Too little risks getting voids (aka fisheyes) where an area did not get wetted out. Just make sure the coating is continuous. The Devcon will level out nicely and release most bubbles all by itself. If you see a bubble after a minute or two, breathe on it (like you do on a pair of glasses to clean them) and most bubbles will disappear when hit by CO2 from your breath. To aid in handling the bait while brushing, I put a piece of masking tape on the lip and clamp on some locking forceps (aka hemostats). Very handy. I'm never in a big hurry to get epoxy brushed on, it just results in more mistakes. I mix enough Devcon 2T for 2 baits, then throw away the foil I mixed it in and start with a fresh batch.

Thanks a lot hoodaddy and bobP for the good tips...i applied the epoxy to the baits and they came out good... now the final sanding and painting and EPOXYING again. Cant wait to show you guys my stuff...its hard with the 'rattle cans'.

~sean