DeHeron

School Time

Tapp refers to the Zoom Tapp crankbait, a medium runner with wood body and coffin bill. The earliest version of this style was the Blazer. Here's a link to some pics of Nomad Lure's Blazer style bait, made by Blackjack, a TU contributor: http://www.nomadlures.com/images/Blazersnew2006.JPG

Horton is a crankbait color: white belly, yellow or chartreuse sides, green shoulders and brown back. I'll leave the glider to the musky guys!

Thats a good question. Musky lure terminology is confusing. A glider is lipless, but not necessarily a crank. It's worked normally by giving the bait a short pull & the lure glides to one side or the other. Usually you get a cadence going and it resembles the flash, belly roll of an injured minnow trying to escape in short bursts. Like any lure theres infinate variations. Floaters, sinkers & neutral buoyancy. A good sinker & neutral really glide, left, right, up, down. Different eye locations, but most are right on the nose. Here's a pic (I hope) that shows a few in different stages. Notice the weight placement is front & back.

To me a lipless crank is like a rattle trap or similar. Also not to be confused with a jerk bait. Some of those have lips & some don't. Chop bait, dive & rise, twitch bait.................Even amongst Musky fishermen I hear contradictions in terminology.

church program 019.jpg

church program 019.jpg

church program 019.jpg

church program 019.jpg

church program 019.jpg

church program 019.jpg

2063_thumb.attach

So..A glider really glides and does not waggle? Wow, I have never seen that before. I am guessing you can fish it anyway you want to? I wonder why they have not made it to the Bass Market? Can someone tell me when the Zoom Crankbaits were made. Blackjacks lures look great, hope I do not have to buy some....I think I hear that Bait Monkey coming!

DeHeron, here is a video of a glider that I build. http://media.putfile.com/BeerBelly6-Pool-Demo

What makes a glider "glide" is two things primarily, weight placement in the lure itself and how the angler retrieves the lure. Have you ever fished a zara spook topwater lure? Gliders essentially do the same thing only underwater. By holding the rod tip low and giving a slack line a gentle pull or tug the bait will go one way, do it again and the bait goes the other. Eventually you get a cadence down and you can make the lure come alive!

jed v.

Well, as I understand it, Zoom Tapps were created by the owner of Zoom plastics; Ed Chambers. The division of Zoom that makes hard baits is actually W. E. C.. The Tapp is their name for one of their models, but they have others. For what it's worth, I've heard of crankbait Guru Calvin Johnson's complaint that all Chambers did was take how Johnson modified the old Bagely's and used it to create the W.E.C. baits. Of course, Ed Chambers also bought out several other small companies like the original Tennessee Tuffy (or at least their lip molds). The original Handmade Tn Tuffy was carved by Steve Blazer, thus the blazer bait name.

I'm sure if there's more to it or if I got anything wrong one of our deep cranking experts like Blackjack or Skeeter will correct me.

Clemmy

P.S. I have often thought that the reason many in Tn and the Carolinas felt the need to modify the old Bagleys was to get them to "dive correctly", by which they mean deeper and quicker such as the above baits do. That's why so many legendary makers in that area of the country. But Bagley was right by me here in Florida. On most of our lakes the deepest part may be 10-12 feet. And many are choked with vegetation. So a shallow runner that could be controlled with short casts and retrieved just ticking the weeds worked. Up in the mid south, the water is deeper, mostly reserviors, with timber. You need something that will dive, and that means longer casting and steeper attack angle.

Riverman, Thanks for the Video. I think Zara Spook is a good explanation of movement. I am going to have to try one...maybe long line a sinker in about 30ft. of water to pick up some suspenders.

Clemmy, That is some good imformation. I had wondered about the Zoom name but being as I had never seen them before I was'nt shure. The way Zoom occupies shelf space you would think there cranks would be easy to get hold of. Being one hour from Lake Fork I am still jealous you are in Florida...12ft. max,..Choked Vegetation,..hmm..when can I be there!