lowfi

how do you sign baits?

hey guys,

im interested in signing my baits realllllllly tiny and wondering how you do it? kinda of like the megabass lures. I am using a fine point sharpie now but really want to get smaller and perhaps different colors. thanks for any advice.

~sean

PS: itll be kinda like the guys who sign a grain of rice at the malls :) you know, they'll write your name for a couple bucks...!

I have found paint pens to be the best but everything I have tried including sharpies are a bit of a hassle and have a tendency to clog after using them a few times. If you could come up with something you print and just stick on it would probably work better than any pen you are going to find.

Jed V.

Sharpie makes an Ultra Fine Point and an Extra Fine point. I've used both, and prefer the Extra Fine, usually available at a large office supply store. I sign over Createx, sometimes, but usually over the the first coat of 24 hour cured dicknite's lurecoat topcoat. After signing I hit the signature with a little Parma Fascoat, a waterbase clearcoat much the same as Createx's clearcoat, heat-set it with the hairdryer, and am ready for the 2nd coat of Dicknite's. You cannot tell that the additional clear between the dicknite topcoats is there. This same method works equally well for E-tex, and makes that tiny signature really pop.

Dean

Just preliminary at this stage as I have nothing to stick it to.

That's funny vodkaman.

I like the VMAN5 if that is what it reads.

My thoughts exactly about the stencil. If you make a small stencil to be used after you paint the bait, you could use that as your signature. Then top coat it. Or you could do like some of the older baits from the Carolina and Tennessee region and sign, stamp, or stencil the underside of the lip. If you use a stencil the people using your baits might not know your name but they sure could recognize your baits, and who knows your name could become a legendary later in you life. (Boots Anderson, Fred Young) OK, Fred Young did sign a bunch of his baits, but that was after he sold to Cotton Cordell.

I do epoxied baits with a Sharpie. I'm not thrilled with the results but it gets the job done. When clearcoating with polyurethane, I use an ultra fine calligraphy pen and black Createx so it won't run. It will write at least as small as an ultra fine Sharpie and you can use any color paint. Just a few bucks at a local craft store.

I use ink jet water slide decal paper, print my logo from my computer in any size I want and transfer it to my bait before clear coat never runs or smears and presents a professional touch. You can do a signature if you want or any type of logo or anything for that matter.....

IMG_1470.jpg

Rod

first off the water decal stuff...expensive $$$...but awesome!!!! 1) how do you apply it? (with aersol adhesive?) and 2) does the product yellow after some time...leaving you with a clear lure and a little logo that has some yellow on it??? wow that is awesome..thanks a lot RJBASS

sean

lowfi,

Once you print what you want on the paper, you spray it with clear krylon gloss 2 to 3 coats and let dry an hour or so. Then cut out the logo or whatever and soak it in water just like any decal, and after about 15 seconds, slide it off the backing and onto your bait, press with paper towel to extract water and let dry. It will be seamless when you apply top coat. It will not yellow, it will stay whatever color you printed on your computer. Real easy to do.....

Rod

dampeoples, if you look on the gallery, you'll see some plugs I recently made that were clearcoated with Dick Nites and signed "SM '07" with the pens. Unfortunately, I can't seem to make myself sign them consistently on the same side, so you'll only see two.

I believe this is the same type of pen that BobP was referring to. It's a fine art illustration pen. About $2.50 or $3 at any of the craft chains. Because its something called single pigment ink, instead of dye-based ink, it will not fade or smear, even with contact from a polyurethane.

The smallest size is actually .20 mm, even though they call it 005.

Here's a link: http://www.gellyroll.com/products/pens/pigmamicron/pigmamicron.html

Thanks Scoop, I must admit, I googled the term right after I posted that, then felt stupid for asking! Knocking out that signature clear step would be awesome, gonna give it a try, thanks!

Yeah, I think Bob's mentioned that to me a time or two, musta completely blown right by me :)

I use a Faber-Castell artist pen. It uses Indian ink that is waterproof and permanent. I picked it up at a large hobby store chain. I got the small tip and it has held up really well as far as not getting clogged up or mashed down. I clear with Devcon and have not had any problems with running, I just write over the createx and then use the epoxy, no extra steps. Works great!!