lowfi

bulk devcon?

http://www.texaswoodcarvers.com/tool_index.htm

Here's where I ordered 9 oz duo bottles from recently. JMHO, it only pays to order it online if you're stocking up or getting other items to make the shipping costs reasonable. I got some nifty Kutzall tungsten burr bits at the same online store. If you google Devcon epoxy and look through the sellers, you may find another source with a cheaper price.

I've found the 9 oz sets for as little as $11. BUT I prefer to pay the extra and get the syringes because its a fail safe way to make sure you have an even mix. When using the bulk bottles I had problems with inconsistent mixes leaving soft spots and not curing properly. It doesn't seem to take much disproportion to cause trouble.

My local Hobbytown store carries it in bottles, maybe pints, not sure on that or the price. I'm sure any hobby store like that would order the larger quantities for you, or quote you a price. While it is simple to use the $1.97 syringes and get equal amounts, measuring equally from bottles is not exactly brain surgery; everyone who uses E-tex manages to measure it in equal amounts using various methods from syinges to measuring spoons. Obviously Devcon can be done the same way.

Dean

I've just bought some scales that weigh to 0.1 gram intervals. Should be perfect for this application.

Maybe that will work with Devcon, but I know from experimenting with E-tex, that volume ratio is not equal to weight. I tried measuring the exact same amount (by volyme) of both resin and hardener and then weighted them. The weight differs a coupple of grams or so. Not much, but if you only measure by weight, when volume is prefered, you might end up with a non curing mess ;)

You can, by doing a few measurements, calculate the weight ratio, but it will not be 1:1.

:) I just squirt out equal sized blobs; it's worked so far.

With Devcon, the ratio is essentially 1:1. At least the package says so. And you might try to tap the syringe a few times to get the "bubbles" to rise.

I also pay 1.97 at Walmart....you can't get it cheaper than that......not in the syringes!:nono:

'Nuff said, there.

I saw the 18 ounce kit yesterday at Hobbytown, which is two nine ounce squeeze bottles for $15, which is still less expensive than 9 tubes, $17.73, at Wal-mart, and of course more than that anywhere else you're apt to find it, usually around $3.50 or so. This is pertinent because they might be out at the FIVE Super Walmarts that are within 20 miles of my house :).

Dean