psilvers

anyone ever use powder paint with an airbrush?

Thanks for the info. I had seen the technique of sprinkling on with a brush, but I don't seem to get a nice even coat. I was using cheap brushes, maybe a better brush would do better. I also tried making a paste of the powder and painting it on the jig and that didn't work. So, last night I went and bought an airbrush. I think I can control waste because I bought one of the better airbrushes which regulates spray athrough a couple of different mechanisms. Thus, I should be able to have pretty fine control. I was just worried about how good it would be spraying a powder vs. spraying a liquid.

Thanks again for the info. I might even start putting a basecoat on and painting other colors with liquid paint.

Pete

Update: I bought an airbrush and have been using canned propellant. It is a Badger Crescendo(?). I am using the largest pore. Does anyone have any ideas? It sprays a bit, but not a real good stream.

BTW, on some other jigs I am thinking of going to vinyl paints. How do they hold up?

Thanks,

Pete

Pete,

What we do is dip the brush in the powder paint and then hold it an inch or so over top of the bait and then tap the handle to make the paint fall out of the brush. We don't actually touch the brush to the heated jig. We have made a video to put on our website that shows these different techniques, but it is still at the editors. Hopefully we will get this up soon so so can have a visual. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Benjamin

Badger makes a hobby sandblaster that works great with powder. You will waste some powder but you can salvage alot by using small cardboard boxes as a spray both. I hang small bags on the inside of the boxes and just change the bag as I change colors so I can recycle the unused powder.

Thanks for everyone's help. I finally tried the brush method on a small jig (Ultra Minnow 1/4 oz). After a few tries I have it down. I was trying this method on a larger jig (1 1/2 oz spearhead) with a lot more area to cover and I couldn't get it even. That is fine - there are other ways to handle that.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Pete

I also use the badger sandblaster to spray powder paint, as well as their very inexpensive external mix paint gun. Both work well. I use a hot air gun to heat the jig, dip it in a fluid bed for the base coat, back to the hot air gun to finish the melting of the base coat, and while it's still hot, spray with one or two colors of powder in the badger guns. Because the base coat is still melted, the powder sticks well, then back to the hot air gun to complete the melting. (I just spray over a garbage can, the countershading uses very little powder, I don't attempt to salvage it). This gives a nice blended countershading. I have several guns hooked up to an air distribution manifold so I can just grab the color I want to spray, then just heat cure and paint the eyes. Part of the trick with the sandblasters is to keep the air pressure low (about 20-25 psi), so the powder doesn't come out in a fog.

• Like 1

No, I use testor's model paint, use a hanging drop on an appropriately sized nail head, never figured out how to do it with powder paint. For a 3 d look, just put a drop of clear epoxy over the painted eye the same way. Recessed eyes make this very easy. With them, you can do both eyes at the same time, paint the eye color (I like yellow), wait a couple of hours for the paint to at least partly dry, then use a sewing pin to do the pupil in black. If somebody's figured out how to do it with powder, I'd be very interested in hearing, this is the slowest part of my paint process.

I've wondered what fish think of my baits with the "jaundiced" eyes, but they work and the eyes are very visible.

I also use the badger sandblaster to spray powder paint, as well as their very inexpensive external mix paint gun. Both work well. I use a hot air gun to heat the jig, dip it in a fluid bed for the base coat, back to the hot air gun to finish the melting of the base coat, and while it's still hot, spray with one or two colors of powder in the badger guns. Because the base coat is still melted, the powder sticks well, then back to the hot air gun to complete the melting. (I just spray over a garbage can, the countershading uses very little powder, I don't attempt to salvage it). This gives a nice blended countershading. I have several guns hooked up to an air distribution manifold so I can just grab the color I want to spray, then just heat cure and paint the eyes. Part of the trick with the sandblasters is to keep the air pressure low (about 20-25 psi), so the powder doesn't come out in a fog.

Could you post a picture of the final product?

pirkfan

Think Component Systems has an eye painter – thought I saw one on their web site (it was a while ago). I use 3D eyes now, too lazy to paint.

Have read (but can’t find it now) where you can use a pencil eraser for an applicator. Rough it up or moisten it before you pick up the paint. Stencils are a real pain with powder paint – thinking about messing with stamping now.

I have the Paasche AEC air eraser but never got around to trying it – got stuck on brushes.

Ledhed...I took a look at the Component Systems eye painter, I think it's for liquid paint, not powder and looks expensive vs nail drop technique = really cheap. I can line 'em up and do a lot of eyes in a hurry for a lot less than stick on eyes, maybe not as purty, but I doubt the fish really inspect them all that closely. I just noticed the similar threads topics at the bottom of this page and one described using a straw to apply powder paint for eyes...I'm going to look into that one...maybe small metal tubes?

(THIS SITE ROCKS)

Braveviper, I'll take a look at what it takes to post a picture on here and give it a try after the holidays.